Arjun Modhvadia named Gujarat Congress chiefMarch 3rd, 2011 - 12:45 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Gandhinagar, March 2 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi Wednesday named Gujarat’s firebrand legislator Arjun Bhai Modhwadia as the party’s state president.
Gandhi appointed Sadanand Singh, former chief of the Bihar unit, as the leader of the Congress legislature party in that state.
Modhwadia, MLA from Porbandar, who was earlier leader of the legislature party, replaces Sidharth Patel as state chief in Gujarat.
Patel resigned from the post in October last year after the party’s debacle in the local body elections.
Modhwadia created a stir in the state assembly Monday by his sensational claim that he had evidence of lobbyist Niira Radia getting a Rs.29,000 crore sop for Tata’s Nano plant in the state.
The 54-year-old two-time member of the state assembly was the leader of the opposition before the present leader Shaktisinh Gohil.
There were two names in the race for the post of the state president - former chief minister Shankarsinh Vaghela and Modhwadia.
Vaghela had put a condition before the high command seeking full freedom in running the party and that Sonia Gandhi should forge unity among all factions in the state.
- Congress in Gujarat: Lost in the shadows (Gujarat Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2011
- Shankarsinh Vaghela to head Congress' Gujarat campaign panel - Sep 02, 2011
- BJP sweeps Gujarat local bodies elections (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Congress delegation from Gujarat meets President - Sep 07, 2011
- Vaghela ends fast, says Modi government betrayed trust - Sep 20, 2011
- Top Gujarat Congress leaders slam Modi, announce satyagraha - Sep 15, 2011
- BJP, Congress slugfest over Sohrabuddin in Gujarat - Aug 13, 2010
- Gujarat golden jubilee celebrations begin (Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Gujarat civic, panchayat polls to set tone for 2012 assembly clash - Oct 09, 2010
- Vaghela predicts early polls in Gujarat - Sep 04, 2011
- Gujarat's golden jubilee celebrations in 2010 - Dec 30, 2009
- Vaghela to counter Modi fast - Sep 14, 2011
- Modi using literacy drive funds for own publicity: Congress - Jun 14, 2011
- Congress to celebrate Gujarat foundation day Thursday - Apr 28, 2008
- Gujarat celebrates golden jubilee (Second lead, changing dateline) - May 01, 2010
Tags: chief minister, congress chief, congress legislature party, congress president sonia gandhi, debacle, firebrand, full freedom, gandhinagar, gohil, gujarat, leader of the opposition, lobbyist, porbandar, sidharth, sop, state assembly, state chief, state president, time member, vaghela