Argentine ruling party seeks blood donors for presidentJanuary 1st, 2012 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, Jan 1 (IANS/EFE) The youth wing of the ruling Peronist Party in Argentina has asked the people to donate blood for the surgery of cancer-stricken President Cristina Fernandez.
The 58-year-old Fernandez would undergo surgery Wednesday to have a malignant thyroid tumour removed.
“The campaign was the idea of our youngest members as a positive, unified way to channel all the support we can to Cristina in this very special moment she must go through,” said Lorenzo Beccaria, one of the organisers.
He said the young party members were “convinced” that that president will pull through and come out “strengthened” by the surgery at the Austral Hospital in Pilar, 60 km from Buenos Aires.
The campaign was organised by the Peronist Youth and La Campora, the political youth wing led by Maximo Kirchner, Fernandez’s eldest son.
Fernandez has begun her second term in office after winning the election in October 2011.
Doctors said Fernandez was suffering from a type of cancer most likely to be cured, as in more than 90 percent of cases, with an excellent chance of a full recovery and leading a normal life after surgery.
The president will go on a 20-day medical leave, during which the government will be led by Vice President Amado Boudou.
- Argentine president recovering after cancer surgery - Jan 06, 2012
- Argentine president gets good news - no cancer - Jan 08, 2012
- Argentine president to undergo surgery for thyroid cancer - Dec 28, 2011
- UAE foreign minister visits Argentina - Mar 16, 2012
- Former president Kirchner's death stuns Argentina - Oct 28, 2010
- Argentine president inherits $6.8 mn - Aug 08, 2012
- Wife indicted in Argentine governor's death - Feb 03, 2012
- 'Two more Latin American presidents will get cancer' - Jan 05, 2012
- Ricky Martin would like to have a daughter - Jun 10, 2011
- Argentine Central Bank accounts frozen in US - Jan 13, 2010
- Former Argentine President Kirchner dies of heart attack - Oct 27, 2010
- Argentine government takes over train operator after crash - Feb 29, 2012
- US calls Chavez cancer comment horrific - Dec 30, 2011
- Former Argentine president Kirchner rushed to hospital, undergoing emergency surgery - Feb 08, 2010
- Argentine transport minister resigns - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: beccaria, blood donors, buenos aires, campora, cancer stricken, cristina fernandez, doctors, eldest son, kirchner, lorenzo, medical leave, organisers, party members, ruling party, second term, special moment, thyroid, type of cancer, vice president, vm