Arab League to form panel to probe Arafat’s deathJuly 18th, 2012 - 1:00 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, July 17 (IANS) The Arab League (AL) Tuesday decided to set up an independent committee to probe the death of former Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.
Arafat died at a military hospital near Paris Nov 11, 2004, three weeks after he was airlifted from his West Bank headquarters, where he spent two years under an Israeli siege.
The committee will work with the Palestinian side and Arab and international bodies to find out the details behind Arafat’s death, reported Xinhua, citing a statement issued after a meeting of the pan-Arab body’s permanent delegates.
The AL urged Palestinian investigators to provide all information available and other countries, especially France, to support the committee’s work.
The committee’s report will be completed within weeks and will then be referred to the next ministerial meeting of the AL. It will be part of the AL’s efforts to ask the UN to form a committee to probe Arafat’s death, according to AL chief Nabil al-Arabi.
Mahmoud Abbas, Arafat’s successor, has ordered an investigation after Al-Jazeera recently aired an investigative report concluding that Arafat was poisoned by radioactive polonium. The Palestinian leadership said it was ready to exhume Arafat’s remains for the investigation.
- Yasser Afrafat's body to be exhumed - Jul 04, 2012
- Yasser Arafat was poisoned, says doctor - Jul 13, 2012
- Swiss lab agrees to test Arafat's remains for polonium - Sep 04, 2012
- Arafat's remains to be tested for Polonium poisoning - Aug 24, 2012
- Ban on al-Jazeera operations in West Bank lifted - Jul 20, 2009
- US accused of involvement in Syria violence: Arab League - Nov 08, 2011
- Al-Jazeera TV banned from West Bank - Jul 16, 2009
- Arab League chief calls for closer Arab-China ties - May 08, 2012
- Arab League to ask UN to impose no-fly zone over Gaza - Apr 11, 2011
- Al-Jazeera office shut down after Arafat murder bid report - Jul 15, 2009
- Al-Jazeera English wins top journalism award for coverage of Middle East unrest - May 05, 2011
- Libyan diplomat to China quits - Feb 21, 2011
- Two 'terrorists', 27 others killed in Syria blasts (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Saleh's family preventing vice-president from taking full power - Jun 06, 2011
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: al arabi, al jazeera, arab league, bank headquarters, cairo, delegates, independent committee, international bodies, investigative report, july 17, leader yasser arafat, mahmoud abbas, military hospital, palestinian leader yasser, palestinian leadership, palestinian side, pan arab, west bank, xinhua, yasser arafat