Apex court refuses to suspend Jayalalithaa’s trial (Lead)June 25th, 2012 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 25 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday declined to suspend the trial of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa and her aide Sasikala Natrajan in a disproportionate assets case. The trial is being conducted in Karnataka.
“We can’t give any interim relief and the trial will continue,” said the apex court vacation bench of Justice H.L. Gokhale and Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai, while hearing a petition filed by Natrajan.
The trial of the case, allegedly involving accumulation of illegal assets worth over Rs.66 crore by Jayalalithaa when she was the chief minister 1991-96, was shifted to Bangalore by the apex court on her plea that she might be denied a fair trial in Tamil Nadu.
The apex court also issued notice to Tamil Nadu’s Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption (DVAC).
Natrajan moved the apex court challenging the Karnataka High Court order rejecting her plea for copies of certain documents from the special court hearing the disproportionate assets case.
The high court rejected Natrajan’s plea April 16, almost two weeks after the trial court dismissed an identical request seeking certified copies of the documents on record in the case.
The prosecution, before the trial court, opposed Natrajan’s plea.
- SC declines plea on Tamil Nadu government's secretariat (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Jayalalithaa's plea against court appearance rejected - Nov 04, 2011
- Face trial in Bangalore Thursday, apex court tells Jayalalithaa - Oct 19, 2011
- Apex court asks Jayalalithaa to appear in Bangalore court - Sep 12, 2011
- High security for Jayalalithaa's court appearance Thursday - Oct 19, 2011
- Apex court adjourns hearing in Jayalalithaa graft case - Sep 06, 2011
- Jayalalithaa sacks two more Sasikala relatives from AIADMK - Dec 22, 2011
- Jayalalithaa reappears in court in assets case - Oct 21, 2011
- Jayalalithaa moves apex court against graft case trial (Lead) - Nov 01, 2011
- Jayalalithaa faces 758 questions in assests case - Oct 21, 2011
- Jayalalithaa to now appear in court Nov 22 - Nov 08, 2011
- Jayalalithaa sacks confidant Sasikala & Co (Night Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Apex court judge withdraws from Jayalalithaa case (Lead) - Nov 03, 2011
- Special court in prison complex for Jayalalithaa's appearance - Oct 18, 2011
- Graft charges filed against ex-Tamil Nadu minister - May 18, 2012
Tags: accumulation, apex, apex court, certified copies, chief minister, corruption, crore, desai, gokhale, interim relief, j jayalalithaa, karnataka high court, New Delhi, plea, prakash, prosecution, ranjana, tamil nadu, trial court, vigilance