Apex court notice to Kanda, brother in assault case (Lead)August 9th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday issued notice to former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda and his brother Govind Kanda for allegedly beating up an INLD activist in April 2010.
An apex court bench of Justice P. Sathasivam and Justice Ranjan Gogoi issued the notice on a plea by Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) activist Pradeep Godara, who alleged that since Gopal Goyal Kanda was Haryana’s minister of state for home at the time of the incident, police had not registered a case against him and his brother.
Appearing for Godara, counsel G.K. Sharma said that the assault by the Kanda brothers amounted to attempt to murder and causing grievous injuries.
The petitioner earlier moved the Punjab and Haryana High Court seeking directions to police to register a first information report (FIR).
However, the high court April 20, 2010, directed the petitioner to approach a magistrate’s court.
The Sirsa judicial magistrate May 4, 2010, dismissed Godara’s complaint, he said.
The high court May 10, 2010, upheld the judicial magistrate’s decision that it did not “suffer from any illegality as the magistrate under Section 156(3) of Cr.P.C. (Criminal Procedure Code) has the powers to examine the contents of the complaint and has refused to order investigation for registration” of FIR.
The apex court notice comes even as Delhi Police are raiding the houses and offices of Gopal Goyal Kanda in connection with the suicide of his former employee Geetika Sharma in Delhi Aug 5. Geetika in her suicide note named the former Haryana minister and his associate Aruna Chaddha for harassing her, leading her to take the extreme step .
Chaddha was arrested and sent to police custody till Aug 11 by a Delhi court Thursday. Another Delhi court rejected Gopal Goyal Kanda’s anticipatory bail plea.
- Court notice to Gopal Kanda, brother in assault case - Aug 09, 2012
- Court again rejects cops' plea seeking Chaddha's custody - Aug 21, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha sent to a day's judicial custody - Aug 20, 2012
- Aruna Chaddha moves bail application - Aug 31, 2012
- Court again rejects cops' plea for Chaddha's custody (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Aruna Chaddha moves high court for bail (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda - Aug 16, 2012
- Kanda, Chaddha in judicial custody till Sep 25 - Sep 11, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha to be questioned for another day - Aug 11, 2012
- Police to question Chaddha for three more days (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Hearing on Aruna Chaddha's bail plea deferred - Sep 05, 2012
- Court rejects Aruna Chaddha's bail plea - Sep 07, 2012
- Chaddha's police custody extended by three days - Aug 13, 2012
- Chaddha's judicial custody extended till Sep 11 - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, assault case, bail plea, court bench, delhi court, delhi police, extreme step, fir, gogoi, haryana minister, illegality, information report, inld, judicial magistrate, minister of state, petitioner, pradeep, punjab and haryana high court, ranjan