Apex court issues notice to Rajasthan on illegal miningJune 8th, 2012 - 2:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday issued notice to the Rajasthan government on a petition alleging that despite a ban, illegal mining was continuing in the state’s Alwar district.
An apex court vacation bench of Justice S. Radhakrishnan and Justice J.S. Khehar issued notice on the petition of NGO Society for Awareness and Development, which said that despite the 2005 and 2010 bans, illegal mining was going on unabated in 11 villages of Tijara and Bhiwari tehsils of Alwar district.
The NGO said that illegal mining was going on as the state authorities had turned a blind eye to this, adding that the mining resulted in the death of labourers.
It referred to a May 18 newspaper report which said that 10 labourers were trapped under debris during illegal mining in Alwar’s Choharpur village.
The court has directed the matter be posted before the forest bench after the summer vacation.
The NGO said that illegal mining was not only depleting the forest cover but also eroding the Aravali Range.
The NGO drew the attention of the court to the report of the central empowered committee on environment matters which pointed to massive illegal mining in reserved forest areas in Udhanwas village.
- Rajasthan, Harayana issued notice on illegal mining (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Apex court to hear plea on illegal mining in Rajasthan - Jun 05, 2012
- Apex court suspends 10 mining leases in Karnataka (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Goa mining scam pegged at Rs.1,200 crore - Aug 27, 2011
- Judge recuses herself from hearing plea against doctors strike - Jun 22, 2012
- Constructions in Delhi Ridge: court notice to ministries - May 20, 2011
- Karnataka High Court upholds iron ore export ban - Nov 19, 2010
- Apex court to hear Krishna's plea Friday - Jan 26, 2012
- Government wants Andhra mine iron ore sale ban till CBI probe - May 03, 2011
- SC lifts ban on iron ore mining for Karnataka - Sep 03, 2012
- Karnataka court seeks centre's response on iron ore export ban - Sep 24, 2010
- SC lifts ban on 18 iron ore mines in Karnataka (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- SC tells government to decide on Balakrishnan case - May 10, 2012
- Apex court issues notice to IMA over doctors' strike - Jun 25, 2012
- Apex court seeks Uttar Pradesh view on poll quota ruling (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: alwar, apex, apex court, bench, blind eye, debris, environment matters, forest areas, forest cover, labourers, New Delhi, newspaper report, ngo, petition, rajasthan government, s radhakrishnan, state authorities, summer vacation, supreme court