Anyone can float a political party: BJPAugust 2nd, 2012 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 2 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday sought to downplay moves of Team Anna towards forming a “political alternative”, saying the constitution gave everyone a right to form a political party.
Party spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said there were several political parties in the country and anyone could float a political outfit.
“The constitution of India gives everyone a right to form political party,” Hussain told IANS.
Asked if a political party floated by Team Anna will succeed, he said it was for the people to decide.
“It is in the hands of people of this country,” he said.
Team Anna has repeatedly targeted Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government on the issue of corruption by seeking a strong Lokpal bill. It has also demanded setting up of special investigation team to probe charges of corruption against some ministers in the government.
The BJP, which is the main opposition party in parliament, has looked with glee at anti-corruption campaign of Team Anna in hope of reaping electoral dividends, but has cautioned the civil society activists against painting all MPs with the same brush.
The party is likely to spell out its stand in more clear terms in the next few days if Team Anna decides to float a political party.
Anna Hazare and his team announced Thursday they would call off their indefinite fast against corruption at Jantar Mantar Friday evening and proposed forming a “political alternative” as an answer to an “unresponsive” government.
- Team Anna calls off fast, to form 'political alternative' (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, colleagues perplexed (Intro Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Government trying to break Team Anna, says Hazare (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna has hidden agenda, says Narayanasamy - Jul 27, 2012
- Anna's political move face-saver or inevitable? Debate is on - Aug 05, 2012
- Team Anna will realise responsibilities, compulsions: Soni - Aug 02, 2012
- Team Anna to call off fast Friday, proposes 'political alternative' - Aug 02, 2012
- BJP trying to use Anna as front, says Congress - Dec 13, 2011
- Anna discusses party formation - Sep 08, 2012
- People need political alternative: Anna - Aug 05, 2012
- Team Anna denied permission to protest at Jantar Mantar - Aug 02, 2011
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Team Anna denied permission to hold protest at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: alliance government, anna hazare, aug 2, bharatiya janata party, bjp, civil society activists, constitution of india, corruption, dividends, friday evening, glee, investigation team, jantar mantar, main opposition party, mps, New Delhi, party spokesperson, political outfit, political parties, progressive alliance