Anwar Ibrahim to face another trial on sodomy chargeMarch 6th, 2009 - 2:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, March 6 (IANS) Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim will be tried by a high court bench on charge of sodomy - the same accusation he faced a decade back when he was sacked as the deputy prime minister.
His lawyers Thursday said a high court ruling dismissing his plea in the matter was “very disappointing”.
Ibrahim had won a favourable ruling last November. But Justice Mohamad Zabidin Mohd Diah Thursday said the Sessions Court judge “had erred”.
The case has been set for mention next Tuesday, The Star newspaper said.
Anwar is now on trial for allegedly sodomising his former aide Mohammed Saiful Bukhari Azlan at a penthouse June 26 last year.
The earlier sodomy charge had led to his sacking by then prime minister Mahathir Mohamad in 1998. He faced a long trial and jail thereafter.
Ibrahim staged a political comeback in the March 2008 election when the opposition alliance Pakatan Rakyat (PR) won an unprecedented 88 seats in parliament and wrested control of four states.
Ibrahim later won a by-election and re-entered parliament after a decade. However, his threat of “taking over” the government by causing defections from the ruling coalition Barisan Nasional have not materialised.
The fresh sodomy charge, Ibrahim says, was brought with the help of the same officials who were part of his persecution a decade back and hold top positions now.
His lawyers have consistently argued that the two officials, Attorney-General Abdul Gani Patail and Inspector General of Police, Musa Hassan, should be disqualified.
They cited before the court an assurance by Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi that the two, who had allegedly fabricated evidence in Ibrahim’s sodomy trial 11 years ago, would not be involved this time around.
Ibrahim’s lawyers said they would move a higher court to seek redressal.
- Fresh twist in Anwar Ibrahim's sodomy trial - Aug 02, 2010
- Sodomy II: Former Malaya Deputy PM Anwar fails to disqualify judge - Dec 06, 2010
- Malay opposition leader Anwar fails to have sodomy charge dropped - Aug 16, 2010
- I am a Malay, says Malaysian ex-PM with Indian roots - Mar 08, 2011
- Three blasts after Malaysian court acquits Anwar (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Malaysian opposition leader acquitted in sodomy case - Jan 09, 2012
- Anwar Ibrahim to face trial on sodomy charges - Dec 01, 2009
- Anwar sodomy case: High Court allows three items as DNA evidence - Mar 23, 2011
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar tries to get judge disqualified - Feb 08, 2010
- Malaysian leader hires Indian expert to fight sodomy case - Feb 18, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader reveals alibi at sodomy trial - May 31, 2010
- Malaysian opposition MP's sex video emerges - Mar 21, 2011
- Malaysia resents foreign critics of Anwar Ibrahim sodomy trial - Feb 08, 2010
- Anwar Ibrahim's 1998 sacking was lawful: Malaysian court - Mar 08, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar faces sodomy trial, again - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: abdullah ahmad badawi, anwar ibrahim, azlan, bukhari, court bench, deputy prime minister, diah, four states, gani, last november, mahathir mohamad, musa hassan, opposition alliance, opposition leader, political comeback, prime minister abdullah ahmad badawi, prime minister mahathir, saiful, sessions court, sodomy trial