Antony meets Chiranjeevi, seeks support for Andhra governmentJanuary 31st, 2011 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 31 (IANS) In a significant development, senior Congress leader and Defence Minister A.K.Antony Monday met Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) president K.Chiranjeevi and reportedly sought his support to the state Congress government, sources said.Antony drove straight from the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport to Chiranjeevi’s residence in Jubliee Hills and held talks with him. The Congress’ Andhra Pradesh unit chief D.Srinivas was also present, PRP sources said.
With Congress legislators supporting former MP Y.S.Jaganmohan Reddy contemplating to vote against the government in the event of opposition moving a no-trust motion in the assembly, Antony is believed to have invited the PRP to join the Congress government in the state.
The PRP, which has 18 legislators in the 294-member assembly, had last month decided not to join the government but indicated that it would extend the support to prevent a snap poll.
However, two of the PRP’s legislators have openly declared their support to Jagan along with two dozen legislators of the ruling party.
The Congress, which has only 156 members in the house, will also be looking for support from seven legislators of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM).
Jagan, who quit the Congress party in November last year, has gone on record as saying that the Congress government in the state is at his mercy.
The ruling party also fears the opposition may bring a no-trust motion in the budget session of the state assembly beginning Feb 17.
- PRP's merger with Congress may benefit TDP, Jagan (News Analysis) - Feb 07, 2011
- Chiranjeevi's PRP to decide on Congress offer soon - Feb 01, 2011
- Congress, TDP, TRS issue whips to legislators - Dec 04, 2011
- Jagan asks party to be ready for snap polls - Jun 01, 2011
- Andhra assembly takes up debate on no-confidence motion - Dec 05, 2011
- TRS to move no-confidence motion in Andhra assembly - Feb 11, 2011
- Manohar elected new speaker of Andhra assembly - Jun 04, 2011
- Chiranjeevi authorised to decide on tie-up with Congress - Feb 03, 2011
- 21 Jagan loyalists to vote against Congress government - Dec 03, 2011
- Jagan keeps Congress guessing on his next move - Nov 30, 2010
- No-trust motion defeated in Andhra assembly - Dec 06, 2011
- TDP to submit fresh notice for no-trust motion - Jun 03, 2011
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- Congress to seek disqualification of 17 Andhra rebels - Dec 10, 2011
- Individuals pose no threat to party: Andhra chief minister - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, antony, budget session, chiranjeevi, congress government, congress leader, congress party, defence minister, government sources, jagan, legislators, member assembly, mim, rajiv gandhi international airport, ruling party, srinivas, state assembly, state congress, trust motion, unit chief