Anti-Sikh riot victims burn Rahul Gandhi effigyMay 9th, 2009 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Mohali (Punjab), May 9 (IANS) A small group of protesters claiming to be victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots Saturday evening burnt an effigy of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi near the venue of his election rally here.
The protesters were carrying flags and anti-Congress banners even before Gandhi arrived for his rally. The police failed to stop them as they marched towards the venue.
They were demanding action against people responsible for the rioting against Sikhs in New Delhi and other places in 1984 following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards.
The protesters alleged that the Congress party was trying to shield its leaders like Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar who allegedly had led attacking mobs.
Punjab is ruled by the Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) alliance government.
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- BJP demands punishment for guilty in anti-Sikh riots - Nov 03, 2010
- Akalis to raise 1984-riot victims' case in parliament - Nov 11, 2009
- Supreme Court suspends Sajjan Kumar trial in '84 riots case - Jul 11, 2012
- Tytler given clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over Tytler acquittal - Apr 29, 2010
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: CBI seeks dismissal of case against Tytler - Jul 24, 2010
- Victims of anti-Sikh riots ransack Jalandhar Congress office - Apr 04, 2009
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- Sikh community demands action against Tytler, Sajjan in 1984 riots case - Jan 03, 2010
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: alliance government, anti sikh riots, congress leader, congress party, effigy, election rally, indira gandhi, jagdish tytler, mobs, mohali, New Delhi, prime minister indira, protesters, punjab, rahul gandhi, riot, sajjan kumar, saturday evening, sikhs, small group