Anti-Rajapaksa protests: Hundreds held in Tamil Nadu (Lead)June 8th, 2010 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 8 (IANS) Hundreds of protesters, including MDMK leader Vaiko and Tamil nationalist leader P. Nedumaran, were arrested in Tamil Nadu Tuesday for demonstrations against Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s four-day India visit, officials said.
In Chennai, Tamil film directors Seeman and Vijaya T. Rajendar were taken into custody besides Vaiko, Nedumaran and their supporters for holding public protests.
Vaiko demanded that the Sri Lankan president be tried in an international court for war crimes.
Security was beefed up outside the Sri Lankan deputy high commissioner’s office here to prevent any untoward incident.
In Coimbatore, around 100 Tamil activists were arrested for creating a train blockade.
Protests were also held in Tiruchirappalli, Virudhunagar, Madurai, Tirupur, Karur and Thanjavur, among other places, officials said.
In Karnataka’s capital Bangalore too a small Tamil group - called Karnataka Tamil Peoples Association - held protests.
Rajapaksa is to arrive in New Delhi Tuesday evening on a four-day state visit, his first since being re-elected the island country’s president in January.
India is expected to seek reassurance on an expeditious resettlement of displaced Tamils, estimated to be between 70,000 to 80,000, who continue to live in relief camps over a year after the Sri Lankan troops militarily crushed the insurgency led by Tamil Tigers.
- Hundreds held in Tamil Nadu for anti-Rajapaksa protests - Jun 08, 2010
- Rajapaksa visit: Vaiko, supporters detained - Sep 21, 2012
- Rajapaksa to meet Manmohan Thursday - Sep 19, 2012
- Stray protests in Tamil Nadu against Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
- Rajapaksa arrives in India, to meet PM Friday - Oct 14, 2010
- MDMK activists protest Centre's invitation to Sri Lankan president Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- Rajapaksa, Manmohan to meet for talks - Sep 20, 2012
- Vaiko taken into preventive custody ahead of Rajapaksa visit - Jun 08, 2010
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa discuss Tamil situation, bilateral ties (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Manmohan meets Rajapaksa, presses for fast-tracking Tamil solution (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Seek release of Indian advocate held in Sri Lanka: Vaiko - Jan 21, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka to discuss Tamil settlement, sign pacts - Jun 08, 2010
- Sri Lankan president's kin attacked in Tamil Nadu - Jan 10, 2012
- Attack on Lankan visitors unacceptable, says Karunanidhi - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: film directors, india visit, karur, mahinda rajapaksa, nationalist leader, peoples association, president mahinda rajapaksa, public protests, relief camps, seeman, sri lankan president, sri lankan troops, tamil film, tamil group, tamil tigers, untoward incident, vaiko, vijaya, virudhunagar, war crimes