Anti-Kudankulam project protestors slam safety reportMay 25th, 2012 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 24 (IANS) A 12-page illegible safety evaluation report (SER) for the Rs.14,000 crore two 1,000 MW nuclear power reactorsis a practical joke on the people of India, protestors against Kudankulam nuclear project in Tamil Nadu said Thursday.
People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) slammed the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) for giving it an illegible and out dated copy of the report.
“This SER is like a practical joke being played upon the innocent people of southern Tamil Nadu and southern Kerala,” it said, charging NPCIL with hiding crucial information from people.
The Central Information Commission April 30 had ordered NPCIL to issue PMANE coordinator S.P. Udayakumar an attested copy of the SER and the safety analysis report about the two 1,000 MW Russian reactors being set up at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here.
The PMANE said: “The so-called SER consists of 12 pages of hardly-legible, typed material with no cover page, no authorship, no ownership, no publisher, no date, no index, and no head or tail.”
The anti-KNPP body said the SER did not discuss about the escape routes and the condition of the roads in case of an accident.
- It's David vs Goliath at Kudankulam: Anti-nuke activist - Feb 28, 2012
- Plea on Kudankulam project filed in Delhi High Court - Aug 25, 2012
- NPCIL declines to release nuke safety report - May 26, 2012
- Anti-Kudankulam activists willing to withdraw protest - May 07, 2012
- Kudankulam row: Officials expect early resolution - Feb 11, 2012
- Kudankulam protesters assaulted, talks cancelled (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Green signal for Kudankulam, Rs.500 crore for region (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Kudankulam officials to attend power sector meeting Thursday - Mar 22, 2012
- Situation calm in Kudankulam, more protestors arrested (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Jayalalithaa chairs state cabinet meeting ahead of budget - Mar 05, 2012
- Kudankulam activists seek answers on nuclear power project - Aug 06, 2012
- Major pre-fuel loading exercise over at Kudankulam - Sep 12, 2012
- Activists brief Jayalalithaa on Kudankulam hazards (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Democratic protests against Kudankulam stifled: Prashant Bhushan - Mar 31, 2012
- Kudankulam: Central panel deliberates in detail - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: authorship, escape routes, illegible, india ltd, information commission, kudankulam, may 24, npcil, nuclear energy, nuclear power corporation, nuclear project, practical joke, protestors, russian reactors, safety analysis report, safety evaluation report, safety report, southern tamil nadu