‘Anti-dynastic’ BJP celebrates Punjab’s dynastic ruleJanuary 21st, 2009 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Jan 21 (IANS) Till not very long ago, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) used to criticise the Congress for promoting the “dynastic rule” of the Gandhi family. Wednesday saw a different BJP as its leaders descended on this Sikh holy city to celebrate as ally and Akali Dal president Sukhbir Singh Badal was sworn in as deputy chief minister in the government of his Chief Minister father Parkash Singh Badal in Punjab.BJP president Rajnath Singh, BJP’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani’s daughter Pratibha Advani, Amritsar MP Navjot Singh Sidhu and Balbir Punj were in attendance at the event.
Former chief ministers Farooq Abdullah (Jammu and Kashmir), Om Prakash Chautala (Haryana) and Vasundhara Raje Scindia (Rajasthan), former union ministers Sharad Yadav and Maneka Gandhi and several others shared the VVIP dais as Sukhbir was sworn by Punjab Governor S.F. Rodrigues at a public function here.
Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker and Akali Dal MP Charanjit Singh Atwal was also present.
Although Punjab BJP leaders had initially shown their resentment to Sukhbir’s elevation, demanding that a BJP minister also be made deputy chief minister, they put up a united face at Wednesday’s ceremony by turning up for the event.
“We are completely united in this alliance. It (alliance) is from the heart and not a political one,” said Transport Minister Mohan Lal, who is from the BJP.
Most BJP leaders chose to stay mum on the issue of dynastic rule.
“Everyone is promoting their children in politics now. The Congress started it. It may be wrong but you cannot help it now,” a BJP minister said.
Famous Punjabi and Sufi singer Hans Raj Hans, the Akali Dal candidate for the Jalandhar Lok Sabha seat, enthralled the gathering of thousands with catchy numbers - some of which were modified suitably to eulogise Sukhbir Badal.
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Akali Dal releases second list of candidates - Dec 27, 2011
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Badal takes over as Punjab CM for fifth time (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- 'Parkash Singh Badal to be chief minister' - Mar 08, 2012
- Akalis, BJP build on new, secular identity (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 14, 2012
- It's SAD! Seven Punjab ministers, speaker trounced - Mar 07, 2012
- Will Badal be NDA choice for vice president? (Punjab Newsletter) - May 04, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Congress embarrassed after drubbing by Akalis (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 15, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP create history in Punjab, surprise Congress (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Parkash Singh Badal set to again be Punjab chief minister (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Akalis field Olympian Pargat Singh, Sukhbir Badal files nomination - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: badal, balbir, bharatiya janata party, bjp leaders, bjp president, chautala, chief ministers, deputy chief minister, dynastic rule, jammu and kashmir, l k advani, Lok Sabha, maneka gandhi, minister father, mohan lal, navjot singh sidhu, om prakash, prime ministerial candidate, punj, rajnath singh