Anti-domestic violence bill introduced in Kashmir assemblyMarch 26th, 2010 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 26 (IANS) A bill to protect women in Jammu and Kashmir from domestic violence was introduced in the legislative Assembly Friday.
Introducing the bill, Social Welfare Minister Sakina Ittoo said the bill, aimed at giving protection to women against any kind of violence within the family, will be a “historical legislation” in the state.
The bill defines “domestic violence” to include actual abuse or threats by husbands that is physical, sexual, verbal, emotional or economic. Harassment by way of dowry demands would also be covered under the definition.
According to the objectives of the bill, the measure seeks to “protect the women from being victims of domestic violence in society and cover those women who are in a relationship with the abuser where both parties have lived together in a shared household and are related by consanguinity, marriage, adoption in addition to relationship with family members living together as a joint family”.
“However, whereas the bill enables the wife to file a complaint under the proposed enactment against any relative of the husband or the male partner, it does not enable female relatives of the husband or the male partner to file a complaint against the wife or the female partner.”
The bill also provides for the right of women to secure housing and to reside in her matrimonial home or shared household, whether or not she has any title or rights there.
- Lok Sabha passes bill against sexual harassment at workplace - Sep 03, 2012
- In Britain, hostility within family could mean crime - Dec 12, 2011
- Men too 'suffer psychological trauma from partner abuse' - Apr 08, 2011
- How women fend off domestic violence - Feb 16, 2011
- Women too can be booked for domestic violence, rules court - Jun 04, 2010
- 62 percent women feel domestic abuse is right! - Sep 18, 2011
- Muslim man told to pay maintenance to ex-wife - Jun 18, 2011
- Widows and orphans will be rehabiliated: Kashmir's woman minister (Interview) - Jan 22, 2012
- 'Include rehabilitation in children sexual offence bill' - Dec 21, 2011
- 1.8m female infant, child deaths in India linked to violence against mums - Jan 06, 2011
- 'Every third Russian woman suffers domestic violence' - May 03, 2012
- Each district to have a womens' police station in Kashmir - Feb 19, 2011
- 'Where goddesses are worshipped, women are treated badly' (With Image) - Jan 31, 2012
- NAC okays Food Security Bill, to be sent to PM - Jun 22, 2011
- 50 percent of Colombian men admit to abusive behaviour - Oct 13, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,