Ansari’s decision on SP blows up - and blows overMarch 5th, 2008 - 3:41 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 5 (IANS) Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari’s decision to refer some Samajwadi Party (SP) MPs to the privileges committee for disrupting the house led to repeated adjournments Wednesday. But tempers cooled when Parliamentary Affairs Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi intervened to arrange a meeting of party leaders. SP members had come prepared Wednesday to take up the issue and began shouting slogans, leading to three adjournments during question hour. They said they had been singled out and this affected their honour as members of the house.
Dasmunsi then intervened and hastily arranged a meeting of party leaders at which Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader and party president Sharad Yadav justified the behaviour of the SP members.
When the house reassembled at 12 noon, Dasmunsi rose to defend the honour of all members. He told the chairman: “I respect your ruling and we are always bound by your ruling. But I again say that I am with all the honourable members and I am here to defend the honour of each and every member.
“I hope you shall find some time this evening and I will cooperate to defend the honour of all the members,” the minister added.
SP general secretary Amar Singh eventually buried the hatchet saying that members “when they are in the opposition resort to agitations” like stalling the house proceedings.
While appreciating Dasmunsi’s intervention, he also thanked other leaders, particularly Sharad Yadav.
He said: “Sharad Yadav has pointed out in the meeting that when we don’t get an opportunity to articulate our grievances about the problems facing the country such incidents do take place. That does not mean any of us is any the less respectful of the house or the chair than anyone else.
“I am thankful that our grievances will be addressed in the evening meeting,” Amar Singh added.
Ansari had referred to the privileges committee a complaint by Congress MP Santosh Bargodia that his privilege as a member was denied when he was not allowed to ask listed questions because of disruptions.
Some other members including former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee and Shiv Sena leader Manohar Joshi had endorsed Bargodia’s plea.
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Second lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Parliament adjourned for day over FDI in retail - Nov 28, 2011
- Clamour for minority quota in Lokpal, Lok Sabha disrupted (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- MPs outraged over Team Anna's remarks, Lok Sabha adjourned (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned again over women's bill protests (Lead) - Mar 09, 2010
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Price rise ghost continues to haunt parliament, both houses adjourned (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned after stink - literally (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Government offers dialogue on women's bill, disruptions go on (Afternoon Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Stormy start to parliament, 8 Congress MPs suspended (Roundup) - Apr 24, 2012
- SC order against quotas in promotions rocks parliament (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Parliament again disrupted over coal scam (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: affairs minister, amar singh, general secretary, grievances, hamid ansari, hatchet, honour, honourable members, jd, parliamentary affairs, party leaders, party president, privileges committee, priya ranjan, rajya sabha, Samajwadi Party, santosh, sharad, slogans, tempers