Another Samajwadi Party MP to defy party whipJuly 11th, 2008 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 11 (IANS) Yet another Samajwadi Party MP, Raj Narain Budholiya from Hamirpur, has announced that he would defy the party whip and vote against the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) on the nuclear deal. Two other SP MPs, Munawwar Hassan and Jai Prakash Rawat, had announced they would defy the whip. All the three claimed that the party had not taken them into confidence before deciding on supporting the UPA.
The rebel MPs have been claiming that there are at least 12 other SP Lok Sabha members who would defy the party whip and won’t let the UPA government survive the floor test in parliament. However, none of the three has named even one of the dozen other MPs.
SP Lok Sabha member, Beni Prasad Verma, who turned against Mulayam Singh Yadav in the run up to the 2007 assembly elections and set up his own Samajwadi Kranti Dal, has said he will join the Congress and support the government.
Verma told reporters Friday he had a meeting with Congress president Sonia Gandhi in Delhi Thursday and assured her his support “along with a group of nine MPs”. These MPs include Raj Babbar and Ateeq Ahmed.
As it stands today, of the total 39 SP MPs three have announced they would defy the whip and the rest are still with the party.
- It will be Rahul vs Modi in 2014: Beni Prasad Verma - Aug 20, 2012
- Mulayam day-dreaming of becoming PM: Beni Prasad - Aug 20, 2012
- Opposition plans adjournment motion on price rise Tuesday - Nov 21, 2011
- Verma seeks post-poll ties with BSP, Congress terms it personal view (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- BJP dares SP to withdraw support to centre - Sep 13, 2012
- Mulayam sidelining sincere partymen, says Beni Prasad - May 04, 2009
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav: From football, movies to crown of UP politics (Profile) - Mar 10, 2012
- Key Samajwadi Party MP Siddiqui quits ahead of July 22 trust vote - Jul 19, 2008
- Advantage Pranab as lawmakers vote to elect new president (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Samajwadi Party expels six rebel MPs (Lead) - Jul 25, 2008
- SP, BSP, Trinamool bailout government on NCTC in Rajya Sabha (Third Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- UPA defeats opposition amendments on NCTC in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Another union minister booked in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 24, 2011
- Sonia meets Congress MPs ahead of presidential poll - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, congress president sonia gandhi, gandhi in delhi, hamirpur, hassan, jai, lok sabha member, lok sabha members, mulayam singh, narain, nuclear deal, party whip, prakash, progressive alliance, raj babbar, rawat, rebel mps, Samajwadi Party, UPA, yadav