Another Samajwadi Party leader may quit (Lead)May 24th, 2008 - 9:50 pm ICT by admin
Lucknow, May 24 (IANS) Within hours of former Samajwadi Party (SP) minister Naresh Agarwal quitting the party Saturday, a close confidante of former chief minister Mulayam Singh Yadav gave indications that he would follow suit. Dhaniram Verma, SP legislator from Vidhuna constituency in Auraiyya district, told IANS that he had serious differences with Mulayam Singh Yadav, who is the party chief, over the Kannauj Lok Sabha seat.
“I wish my son contests from the seat, but Netaji (Yadav) is not ready,” he said.
He said: “I have not quit the SP so far. Wait till May 27 to know about my next move.”
Sources said that Verma already had talks with the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party and his son Mahesh Verma was likely to be made the BSP’s candidate for the Kannauj Lok Sabha seat.
Earlier, Agarwal quit the party Saturday alleging it was no longer led by Mulayam Singh Yadav but by its general secretary Amar Singh.
Agarwal told reporters that he “was feeling strangulated in the party” because it was no longer wedded to its socialist credentials and had become an “elitist party of film stars and power brokers”.
At least a dozen prominent SP leaders have quit the party during the last one year to join the BSP.
- BSP not to contest against Dimple - Jun 06, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav's wife to contest Kannauj by-election (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Mulayam day-dreaming of becoming PM: Beni Prasad - Aug 20, 2012
- 'Kidnapped' man challenges Dimple Yadav's election to Lok Sabha - Sep 12, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to launch second political innings Tuesday - Jun 04, 2012
- Akhilesh asks party's youth to work for Lok Sabha win - Aug 07, 2012
- Dimple files nomination, plays 'bahu' card - Jun 05, 2012
- A word from Sonia means 24x7 power - Aug 29, 2012
- Kannauj Lok Sabha bypoll is slated for June 24 - May 23, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to contest from Kannauj? - Mar 15, 2012
- Dimple Yadav elected to Lok Sabha unopposed (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Congress cannot take our support for granted: Shahid Siddiqui - Mar 13, 2012
- Verma seeks post-poll ties with BSP, Congress terms it personal view (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Akhilesh comes of age in rough, tough UP politics - Mar 06, 2012
- Somnath happy with Akhilesh becoming chief minister - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: bsp, chief minister, confidante, constituency, contests, credentials, film stars, general secretary, kannauj, legislator, Lok Sabha, lucknow, may 24, mulayam singh yadav, naresh, party chief, party leader, power brokers, Samajwadi Party