Another jail term for self-exiled Tunisian presidentJuly 5th, 2011 - 1:35 am ICT by IANS
Tunis, July 5 (IANS) A Tunisian court Monday sentenced former president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, who has fled the country, to 15 and a half years in jail on drugs- and weapons-related charges, reports said.
The court also slapped a fine of 180,000 Tunisian dinars ($140,000) on him, Xinhua reported, citing the Tunisian national radio.
It was Ben Ali’s second trial, during which the ex-president’s lawyers walked out of the court after their request for a postponement was rejected by the officiating magistrate.
The former Tunisian leader, who left the country following weeks of protests against his 23 year long rule, was convicted to 35 years in imprisonment and a $64 million fine for embezzlement and trafficking of archaeological artefacts following a first trial a few weeks ago.
He faces 182 other charges, including voluntary manslaughter, in which he risks the death sentence.
- Ben Ali's former advisor held in Tunis - Sep 04, 2012
- Ex-Tunisian president's kin gets 18 years prison - Nov 26, 2011
- Tunisians call for Ben Ali's extradition - Apr 16, 2011
- Nephew of Tunisia's ex-president jailed for drug abuse - May 08, 2011
- Tunisian ex-president's daughter awarded jail term - Oct 02, 2011
- Tunisia begins extradition procedures against ex-president - Jun 18, 2011
- Tunisia's Ben Ali sentenced to 20 more years in jail - Jun 14, 2012
- Tunisian military court sentences Ben Ali in absentia - Jul 19, 2012
- Tunisian ousted President Ben Ali accused of plotting against national security - May 05, 2011
- Tunisian ex-president's trial postponed - Jul 22, 2011
- Tunisian PM's website hacked - Apr 09, 2012
- Switzerland to help Tunisia recover Ben Ali's assets - Apr 19, 2011
- Ex-Tunisian president's wife's greed drove nation to revolution - Jan 17, 2011
- Tunisian military takes action against Ex-President's aides - Jan 17, 2011
- Tunisian council elections to be held July 24 - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: 35 years, archaeological artefacts, death sentence, embezzlement, former president, half years, imprisonment, jail term, lawyers, magistrate, national radio, postponement, protests, trafficking, tunis, tunisian president, voluntary manslaughter, weapons, xinhua, zine el abidine ben ali