Another Chand volte-face, back with Fiza (Lead)June 14th, 2009 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 14 (IANS) The last word on the Chand-Fiza on-off marriage is yet to be heard. Former Haryana deputy chief minister Chander Mohan alias Chand Mohammed Sunday did another volte-face and returned to Anuradha Bali alias Fiza after having secretly married her illegally and then controversially “divorcing” her.
Chander Mohan arrived at her residence in Mohali town, adjoining Chandigarh, and apologised to her.
“I have apologised to her. I have not divorced her,” Chander Mohan, donning a new crew-cut and wearing a white tee, told reporters at her residence.
Chand later told IANS: “I never left, I still love her and I wanted to spend rest of my life with her. I am ready to leave everything, even my family, for her sake. I was under immense pressure and was bound with some prior commitments when I left her house.”
“In fact I also send some messages to Fiza to clear the situation but I guess that she did not get those messages,” he said.
Though smiling and feeling vindicated at the turn of events, Bali said she would consider his “apology” even though she had not made up her mind so far on forgiving him.
“I will think about living with him again and withdrawing the case against him. He had been misled by others,” Bali told IANS.
“When he left my house, he never took my consent that is why I was a bit apprehensive about the genuineness of his decision of returning to me. Therefore by remaining doubly cautious this time, I wanted him to clear everything before media,” she stated.
Bali said that Chander Mohan had requested her to withdraw the case against him and to forgive him.
Chander Mohan and Bali had secretly got married November last year by converting to Islam. He was already married to Seema Bishnoi and had three children from her.
Both surfaced after their marriage in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut city December last year. After a nearly 40-day stay together, Chander Mohan suddenly left her house and was later traced in London.
Adding drama to the controversial marriage, Chander Mohan then gave her divorce over phone and through SMS in February.
About the issue of divorce, Bali said, “That divorce is not at all legal, not even the Supreme Court of India recognises it. Chand has shown real guts by approaching me again publicly and I would certainly take some firm decision very soon.”
Both have traded charges against each other in the last four months but Sunday marked a new chapter in their controversial story that has inspired Bollywood producers too.
Chander Mohan got himself a new name, wife and religion in this marriage but lost his high-profile job as Haryana’s deputy chief minister in the process. He returned from London last week to announce that he would now return to politics, but said nothing about going back to Fiza.
He is a Congress legislator from the Kalka assembly constituency.
- Fiza Mohammed found (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Chand does another volte-face, back with Fiza - Jun 14, 2009
- More cash, jewellery comes out of Fiza's lockers - Sep 13, 2012
- Huge cash recovered from Fiza's house - Aug 09, 2012
- Fiza dies in mysterious circumstances (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Fiza arrested on neighbour's complaint, gets bail (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Fiza cremated in Chandigarh - Aug 07, 2012
- Police detain Fiza over neighbour's complaint - Oct 17, 2010
- Chand-Fiza soap opera: Chand Muhammad back with Fiza - Jun 14, 2009
- Hooda's ministers not new to crime controversies (News Analysis) - Aug 06, 2012
- Chand again Chander Mohan, returns to Hinduism - Jul 28, 2009
- Chand now wants to return to Hinduism, live with mother - Jul 27, 2009
- Chand Mohammed says 'talaq' to Fiza over phone - Mar 14, 2009
- Chand Mohammed says 'talaq' to Fiza from London (Lead) - Mar 14, 2009
- Fiza Mohammed commits suicide - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: alias, apology, bali, bishnoi, chand, commitments, converting to islam, crew cut, deputy chief minister, genuineness, immense pressure, june 14, last word, meerut city, mohammed, mohan, rest of my life, uttar pradesh, volte face, white tee