Anna’s fast: Preparations on in Ramlila groundAugust 19th, 2011 - 10:49 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) Preparations were on in full swing at Ramlila ground here where Gandhian activist Anna Hazare will continue his fast for a stronger anti-corruption bill Friday.
Hazare is expected to leave Tihar Jail at 11 a.m. Friday, said his aide Arvind Kejriwal.
A small tent was erected in the sprawling ground, most of which was wet due to the recent rains.
An image of Mahatma Gandhi was placed right behind the stage where Hazare will sit.
The contract for preparing the ground was given to a private firm, which has only readied half of the area till now.
Loudspeakers were in place and bhajans were being played. A mobile toilet and water tanks had been installed.
Anna’s supporters are expected to troop into the Ramlila ground when the activist leaves the Tihar Jail premises.
The ground was dotted with police personnel, volunteers and the media.
Hazare is supposed to visit Mahatma Gandhi’s memorial Rajghat on his way.
Hazare, 74, had planned to begin his fast for a stronger Lokpal Bill at the J.P. Park in the ITO area Tuesday.
Delhi Police imposed certain conditions before the protest could be allowed. Hazare however refused to agree, after which the police detained him and his associates Tuesday.
He was sent to Tihar Jail and was subsequently released Tuesday night, but he refused to leave the prison until he was allowed to carry on the fast without any conditions.
- Anna to continue his fast at Ramlila ground Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Thousands throng Ramlila Ground to support Anna (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Cheers, slogans as Anna leaves Tihar for Ramlila ground (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- We will not move till Lokpal bill is passed: Hazare - Aug 19, 2011
- Hazare to reach Ramlila via Rajghat, India Gate (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Hazare to leave Tihar 11 a.m. Friday: Kejriwal - Aug 19, 2011
- Ramlila ground gets set for Anna Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- Will not move till Lokpal bill is passed: Hazare (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Anna to leave Tihar, hold fast at Ramlila ground (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Noida farmers march to support Anna - Aug 19, 2011
- Rains may spoil Anna's fast - Aug 19, 2011
- Before the breakthrough, rounds of meetings over Anna's fast - Aug 18, 2011
- Tricoloured merchandise selling like hot cakes - Aug 19, 2011
- Anna to leave Tihar Jail - Aug 18, 2011
- Unusually large crowd surprises Rajghat officials - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: activist, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, corruption, delhi police, full swing, loudspeakers, mahatma gandhi, New Delhi, p park, premises, private firm, protest, rajghat, tent, tihar jail, toilet, tuesday night, volunteers, water tanks