Anna threatens a bigger Lokpal movement (Lead)March 23rd, 2012 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) Anna Hazare Friday said his team will build public opinion against the government’s “useless” Lokpal bill and threatened a bigger anti-corruption stir if his version of the bill is not introduced by the 2014 general elections.
“Today (Friday), an all-party meeting was convened on the Jan Lokpal bill but no consensus could be reached. If the government does not bring the Jan Lokpal bill by the 2014 election, we will have to organize a big movement,” said the anti-graft activist after the meeting.
Referring to the poll results of five states in which the Congress fared badly, Hazare said the Congress will have to face poor results in the 2014 general elections if the bill is not passed.
“We are not fighting against the government but for the better future of citizens of this country. People want the Lokpal bill and they are enthusiastic about it,” he told reporters.
“The government said yes to our bill (Jan Lokpal) in the joint committee, standing committee and even in parliament, but reversed its decision suddenly,” he added.
Hazare said Team Anna will travel across the country and tell people that the government’s version of the bill is “useless”.
“Twenty-five people who fought against corruption were murdered. We have been stressing on protection of whistle-blowers through a law but the government is not ready to do it,” he said.
“On 25 (March), we will tell people that the government is insensitive. We shall sit at Jantar Mantar,” said Hazare who will sit on a day-long fast in solidarity with the families of slain whistle-blowers.
- Anna threatens of a bigger Lokpal movement - Mar 23, 2012
- Government has failed to protect whistleblowers: Hazare - Mar 25, 2012
- Bring Lokpal Bill or go, Hazare tells government - Mar 25, 2012
- Crowds swell as Anna begins fast (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna Hazare postpones fast to March 25 - Mar 14, 2012
- Anna returns with anti-graft protest, threatens more agitation (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Full faith in Anna's movement, say whistle-blowers' families, friends - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna to fast in Delhi - Mar 13, 2012
- Anna breaks one-day token fast - Mar 25, 2012
- Rajya Sabha members want stronger measures against graft - Aug 25, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh CM to meet Team Anna next week - Mar 15, 2012
- Hazare breaks maun vrat, Team Anna meets Lokpal panel - Nov 05, 2011
- Aamir is backing Jan Lokpal bill: Team Anna - Jul 20, 2011
- Anna Hazare to go on fast unto death over Lokpal Bill - Apr 04, 2011
- Anna issues ultimatum to Congress, battlelines drawn - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: activist, anna hazare, better future, citizens, congress, consensus, corruption, general elections, joint committee, lokpal bill, mantar, New Delhi, parliament, poll results, public opinion, solidarity, standing committee, whistle blowers