Anna supporters take out candle light vigilsAugust 16th, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) Angry over his arrest, thousands of supporters of social activist Anna Hazare shouted slogans in his support as they held candle light vigils at several places in the city Tuesday.
Raising slogans in support of Hazare, the protesters with candles, placards and banners in their hands gathered at India Gate, Chhatrasal Stadium where thousands of Hazare’s supporters were detained, and outside Tihar Jail where the Gandhian has been kept.
“Is this really a democracy? Don’t we have the right to protest peacefully in our own country? This is not the India Mahatma Gandhi fought for,” said 32-year-old software engineer Julio Joy protesting at India Gate with a poster in his hand that read “Free Anna Now”.
The protesters, cutting across all sections of society, demanded Hazare’s release and criticised the government for arresting the activist. They also denounced the detaining and arrest of thousands of other activists by the Delhi Police.
“The government is digging its own grave with such foolish actions and display of pure arrogance. I pray to god that the people in power get some sense,” said Sudhir Adhikari, a 62-year-old businessman protesting outside Tihar Jail.
Slogans like ‘Anna nahi aandhi hain, yeh doosra Gandhi hain’ (He is a blizzard, a second Mahatma Gandhi) and ‘Jo kabhi nahi haare, woh Anna Hazare’ (Who never lost to anyone, he is Anna Hazare) were raised by the protesters who vowed to intensify their agitation.
“We will not tolerate this and the government will have to pay. We won’t indulge in violence but won’t take this treatment lying down,” said 28-year-old Vani Batra, a homemaker.
Hazare, fellow activist Arvind Kejriwal and six supporters were sent to Tihar Jail by a special executive magistrate for not signing a bail bond and promising not to violate prohibitory orders.
Police had clamped prohibitory orders at the J.P. Park where the activists were planning to sit on fast against corruption.
- Thousands gather at Delhi's Chhatrasal stadium in Anna's support - Aug 16, 2011
- Thousands throng Ramlila Ground to support Anna (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Anna's supporters raise a storm in Delhi - Aug 16, 2011
- Sonia pleads but Hazare doesn't give up as talks fail (Roundup) - Apr 07, 2011
- Sonia pleads but Hazare not to give up as talks fail (Intro Roundup) - Apr 07, 2011
- Cheers, slogans as Anna leaves Tihar for Ramlila ground (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Indian Americans rally in Hazare's support - Aug 22, 2011
- Anna supporters throng outside Tihar - Aug 17, 2011
- Hazare attracts young, old across Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2011
- Defiant Anna jailed, freed, refuses to leave Tihar - Aug 17, 2011
- Police use Gandhian methods to tackle Hazare supporters - Aug 17, 2011
- Fasting Anna calls for 'revolution' as thousands rally (Third Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Anna logjam has PM fuming, mass protests continue (Night Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Thousands rally in support of Hazare's anti-graft fight - Apr 07, 2011
- Kiran Bedi, Shanti Bhushan released - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: aandhi, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, bail bond, candle light vigils, delhi police, doosra, fellow activist, gandhian, homemaker, india gate, kabhi nahi, mahatma gandhi, p park, placards, social activist, software engineer, vani, woh, year old software