Anna supporters celebrate in KolkataAugust 28th, 2011 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 28 (IANS) People from all walks of life celebrated on the streets here Sunday as Anna Hazare ended his fast after parliament agreed to his key demands for a stronger anti-graft law.
“Anna did what politicians couldn’t do for last 65 years. Anna’s victory is the victory of the common man of India,” college student Debarun Ray said.
Social activists and students from schools and colleges paraded at various places and waved the national flag.
Earlier, protests rocked several parts of Kolkata and West Bengal after Hazare and his key aides were arrested in New Delhi Aug 16 while readying to launch a hunger strike to press for a strong Lokpal bill.
- Protests in Kolkata over Anna detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Thousands join as Hazare begins indefinite fast (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Anna not to end fast till issues resolved: Bedi - Aug 25, 2011
- Fast, demonstration in Orissa to support Hazare - Apr 07, 2011
- Anna's supporters fasting for 10 days in Orissa - Aug 25, 2011
- End strike, PM appeals to Anna (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Hazare attracts young, old across Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2011
- Thousands rally across Karnataka supporting Anna - Aug 17, 2011
- On Day 11, parliament set to discuss Jan Lokpal bill - Aug 26, 2011
- Anna Hazare flags off rally in Mumbai - Aug 09, 2011
- In Chennai, Anna supporters chalk out next stage - Aug 28, 2011
- Hazare flags off anti-graft rally in Mumbai (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Yeddyurappa supports Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- Karnataka activists launch fast against graft - Apr 05, 2011
- Team Anna visits parties to garner support - Aug 26, 2011
Tags: aides, anna hazare, anti graft law, colleges, common man, hunger strike, India, national flag, New Delhi, parliament, politicians, protests, social activists, victory, walks of life, west bengal