Anna Hazare, Kejriwal, Bedi detained (Lead)August 16th, 2011 - 10:47 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) Amid high drama, Gandhian activist Anna Hazare was detained Tuesday morning by the Delhi Police as he was about to set out for his fast in support of a strong Lokpal bill.
Around 250 of his supporters, including activist Arvind Kejriwal and former top cop Kiran Bedi, were also detained.
Hazare and Kejriwal left their flat in Supreme Enclave in east Delhi for their fast at Jaiprakash Narayan Park. As they got out of the lift in the apartment complex, around 20 police officers in plain clothes encircled them and whisked them away in a police van to an undisclosed location.
Hazare’s supporters, who had gathered in hundreds in the apartment complex, shouted anti-government slogans and praised the social activist.
The police formed a human chain on the road to prevent any untoward incident.
Just before his arrest, Hazare told a news channel: “Don’t let my arrest stop this movement. This is the nation’s second struggle for freedom. The entire world has come to know how deep rooted corruption is.”
He added: “I appeal to you that let there be no violence in this movement. I also appeal to you, young and old alike, to give eight days of your life to the nation - if necessary for a jail bharo andolan.”
Prashant Bhushan, one of Hazare’s team members, said: “Anna’s arrest is illegal, unconstitutional…this government has no faith in democratic values. It has become dictatorial. This situation is like the emergency period.”
Ramon Magsaysay award winner Bedi, who was detained from Rajghat, said: “When Anna asked on what charges was he arrested, the police said that they have just been given orders.”
“The Delhi Police is capable of handling such peaceful protests…these (arrests) are just orders from above. It’s during the emergency that such things used to happen, arrests just because there were orders,” she added.
- Hazare, associates detained, protests across Delhi (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Kiran Bedi, Shanti Bhushan released - Aug 16, 2011
- After Hazare's detention, Manmohan Singh calls cabinet meet - Aug 16, 2011
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Bollywood condemns Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Two Team Anna members quit, Bedi denies cracks (Roundup) - Oct 18, 2011
- Activists fast in Himachal to support Anna - Aug 16, 2011
- `Anna detained for wanting to defy prohibitory order' - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna Hazare detained, India outraged (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna sent to Tihar Jail, protests engulf India (Evening Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna arrested, sent to Tihar (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna's supporters raise a storm in Delhi - Aug 16, 2011
- Hazare calls for jail bharo after ban orders (Intro Roundup) - Aug 16, 2011
- Kejriwal urges police action against offenders (Lead) - Aug 26, 2011
- Hazare jailed, Anna wave grips India (Night Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, award winner, delhi police, democratic values, east delhi, eight days, enclave, entire world, high drama, jail bharo, peaceful protests, plain clothes, police van, prashant, ramon magsaysay award, social activist, tuesday morning, undisclosed location, untoward incident