Anna Hazare flags off rally in MumbaiAugust 9th, 2011 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 9 (IANS) Social activist Anna Hazare Tuesday flagged off a rally here of 2,000 participants on 500 cars and bikes in his ongoing struggle for a nationwide mechanism against corruption.
Mumbai’s famous dabbawalas and hundreds of college students joined in the 10-km rally between Dadar in central Mumbai and Azad Maidan to the south.
The event precedes a torch procession in the night to be led by Hazare, an official of the India Against Corruption organisation here said.
The participants shouted slogans demanding a strong Jan Lokpal bill. They also extended full support to Hazare, who has expressed displeasure with the government’s version of the anti-graft Lokpal Bill.
“Annaji will speak to the media at 4 p.m., following which he will proceed to Azad Maidan to address a public meeting along with Lokpal bill joint drafting committee member Arvind Kejriwal,” the official said.
“Annaji will then lead a 100-mashaal (torch) march to the August Kranti Maidan in south Mumbai to commemorate the anniversary of the Quit India movement. He and his supporters will take an oath to make India corruption-free,” the official added.
Hazare has vowed to go on fast Aug 16 and urged people to join the “peaceful protest”, calling it the country’s “second freedom struggle”.
- Anna Hazare to address rally in Mumbai Tuesday - Aug 08, 2011
- Hazare flags off anti-graft rally in Mumbai (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Mumbai dabbawalas' first-ever strike - for Anna - Aug 18, 2011
- Thousands in Mumbai join Hazare's fight against graft - Apr 05, 2011
- Thousands join anti-graft crusade as Hazare begins fast (Roundup) - Apr 05, 2011
- Thousands gather in support of Hazare in Mumbai - Aug 17, 2011
- No-bath protest in Hazare's village - Aug 18, 2011
- Thousands fast in Maharashtra in Ramdev's support - Jun 04, 2011
- Hundreds join car rally for Lokpal - Dec 04, 2011
- Mumbai dabbawalas, Vidarbha farmers back Ramdev - Jun 03, 2011
- Mumbai dabbawalas join Anna, office-goers go without tiffin - Aug 19, 2011
- Food for cause: No dabbas for Mumbai's office-goers (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Support for Hazare grows in Mumbai, 50 on hunger strike - Apr 08, 2011
- Thousands join anti-graft crusade as Hazare begins fast (Intro Roundup) - Apr 05, 2011
- Hazare supporters stopped from march in Mumbai - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, annaji, anti graft, arvind, central mumbai, committee member, dadar, displeasure, drafting committee, freedom struggle, india corruption, india movement, kranti, maidan, mashaal, peaceful protest, procession, slogans, social activist, south mumbai