Anna breaks one-day token fastMarch 25th, 2012 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 25 (IANS) Social activist Anna Hazare Sunday broke his one-day token fast demanding an all-powerful anti-graft legislation and a strong legal protection for whistle-blowers.
The 74-year-old activist asked the people to “keep up the pressure” on the government for passing the Jan Lokpal bill, a strong anti-graft legislation proposed by his team.
“The government’s intention is not to pass the Jan Lokpal bill… But one day they will have to do it because the public has woken up,” Hazare thundered before he broke the fast at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi.
According to police estimates, some 2,000 supporters were at the venue for the anti-corruption mass protest also attended by his team members Kiran Bedi, Arvind Kejriwal, Santosh Hegde, Shanti Bhushan and others.
- Anna Hazare postpones fast to March 25 - Mar 14, 2012
- Anna returns with anti-graft protest, threatens more agitation (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna threatens of a bigger Lokpal movement - Mar 23, 2012
- Anna threatens a bigger Lokpal movement (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Government's nod to joint panel not end of struggle: Kejriwal - Apr 09, 2011
- Police mum on Hazare request for fast - Aug 01, 2011
- Bring Lokpal Bill or go, Hazare tells government - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna Hazare calls for nation-wide fast - Apr 01, 2011
- Lokpal should be independent, agree panel members (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Hazare's health stable on second day of fast - Jul 30, 2012
- Consensus in Lokpal drafting panel on independence (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Anna, team to boycott Lokpal Bill meeting; fast June 8 (Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Anna should not fast frequently: Doctor - Jun 08, 2011
- Team Anna shifts protest venue to Rajghat - Jun 07, 2011
- Anna Hazare plans fast unto death for strong Lokpal bil - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, anti graft, arvind kejriwal, bhushan, corruption, intention, legislation, lokpal bill, mantar, march 25, mass protest, New Delhi, santosh, shanti, social activist, team members, venue, whistle blowers