Anna attacks government on FDI front tooNovember 30th, 2011 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Ralegan Siddhi (Maharashtra), Nov 30 (IANS) Even as he continues his attack on the United Progressive Alliance government over corruption and the Lokpal bill, Anna Hazare Wednesday opened a new front against the government on the issue of foreign equity in multi-brand retail, terming it as anti-people.
Hazare, speaking to reporters here, said the people of the country and several state governments were opposed to the centre’s decision on FDI in retail and the government should “heed” the wishes of the people, as this move is “not correct”.
He also pointed out that parliament had been disrupted past week and FDI was an important issue, causing paralysis of parliament and wastage of people’s money.
“Several states have opposed FDI and also said they will not allow it. People too are opposing it. This is a democracy, and people’s wishes should be heeded to. Without dragging much, the government should roll back the decision, heeding to people’s wish,” Hazare said here.
Hazare said the FDI in retail decision would not benefit the farmers.
“If this decision is for the benefit of the farmers, why has the government not done any good for them and prevented their suicides in the last over 60 years. This decision is not good for the farmers.
“Inviting foreigners to set up shops here is not correct. They are not going to come here to do service. They will be here only for commercial exploitation. Keeping in mind the sacrifices of lakhs of freedom fighters to drive out the foreign power and attain independence from foreign rulers, the government should not allow this FDI in retail,” he said.
- Recall of retail FDI regressive, disappointing: India Inc (Roundup) - Dec 07, 2011
- PM defies calls for rollback of FDI in retail (Lead) - Nov 29, 2011
- FDI in multi-brand retail will reduce prices, says RBI - Nov 26, 2011
- Tripura government opposes FDI in retail - Nov 30, 2011
- FDI pause wins peace in parliament, disappoints India Inc. (Roundup) - Dec 07, 2011
- We are not against FDI in retail: Akhilesh Yadav - Jul 24, 2012
- Industry feels let down with recall of FDI in retail - Dec 07, 2011
- FDI: Government firm, tries to woo allies (Roundup) - Dec 02, 2011
- Nitish Kumar opposes FDI in retail - Jul 31, 2012
- Set aside petty politics on FDI in retail, urges India Inc (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2011
- Reverse decisions or quit, CPI-M tells Congress - Sep 19, 2012
- BJP to intensify protests against FDI in retail - Nov 20, 2011
- Ally Trinamool joins BJP, Left in opposing FDI in retail - Nov 24, 2011
- Some states against FDI in multi-brand retail: Montek - Mar 01, 2011
- FDI in retail could help consumers, farmers - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: alliance government, anna hazare, commercial exploitation, corruption, democracy, farmers, foreigners, freedom fighters, lakhs, lokpal bill, maharashtra, money, paralysis, parliament, progressive alliance, rulers, sacrifices, state governments, suicides, wastage