Angry Nitish returns flood relief money to GujaratJune 19th, 2010 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 19 (IANS) Miffed over advertisements featuring him and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and referring to the aid provided by Gujarat during the 2008 Kosi floods, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Saturday returned the Rs.5 crore that had been given for the purpose.
Exactly a week ago, Nitish Kumar had threatened to return the “unutilised money” to Gujarat.
He had also cancelled a dinner he was to host for Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders attending the party’s national executive meeting here after full page advertisements appeared in vernacular dailies showing him with Modi.
Nitish Kumar also threatened legal action against the agency that had released the advertisements for using his photograph without his permission.
Official sources in the chief minister’s office told IANS that the Bihar government returned the “unutilised money” to Gujarat.
“The Bihar government has returned the unutilised money to the Gujarat government,” an official said.
Bihar Disaster Management Minister Divesh Chand Thakur said the step was taken as Gujarat propagated the help provided for the floods victims.
Nitish Kumar had said the Gujarat government’s claim was uncivilised and against the Indian culture. “Nobody claims of bestowing favours on those who face tragedy caused by natural calamities,” he said.
The advertisement, published in the name of dozens of people of Bihar who are now settled in Gujarat, projected Modi as a close friend of Nitish Kumar and highlighted his state’s generous help after the devastating 2008 floods in Bihar.
Nitish Kumar said he was stunned on seeing the advertisement, hours before Modi arrived here to attend the BJP meet.
- Sushil Kumar Modi stays away from Nitish's people's march - Jun 20, 2010
- Petition seeks action against Nitish on flood funds - Jun 21, 2010
- 'JDU-BJP committed to strengthen coalition' - Jun 19, 2010
- Nitish threatens legal action over photo with Modi, cancels dinner (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Bihar Police team sent to Gujarat to probe ad issue - Jun 22, 2010
- NDA constituents petrified by Modi's shadow: Congress - Jun 19, 2010
- Nitish Kumar irate over photo with Modi in ad - Jun 12, 2010
- Raid at ad office which drew Bihar chief minister's ire - Jun 13, 2010
- BJP hits back at Nitish for returning five crore rupees - Jun 19, 2010
- Nitish threatens legal action over photo in Modi ad (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- 'Congress will benefit as people will punish JD-U, BJP' - Jun 21, 2010
- JD-U, BJP rift widens as Nitish cancels march (Lead) - Jun 20, 2010
- Nitish Kumar, Sushil Modi avoid each other at function - Jun 21, 2010
- Advertisement row over, old ties with BJP: Sharad Yadav - Jun 13, 2010
- Keen to continue coalition with JD-U: BJP (Nightlead) - Jun 21, 2010
Tags: bihar government, chand, chief minister, crore, dailies, disaster management, executive meeting, favours, flood relief, floods, gujarat government, indian culture, janata party, narendra modi, natural calamities, nitish kumar, page advertisements, patna, relief money, thakur