Angry BJP legislators from Rajasthan shout slogans outside Advani homeAugust 14th, 2009 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS) Over 50 Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators from Rajasthan Friday trooped to the home of senior party leader L.K. Advani to express solidarity with former chief minister Vasundhara Raje, who has been asked by party president Rajnath Singh to quit as leader of opposition in the state assembly.
The legislators came to New Delhi Thursday to protest against the leadership’s decision to remove Raje from the post, reportedly holding her responsible for the BJP’s debacle in the Lok Sabha elections in Rajasthan in April-May after the defeat in the assembly polls late last year.
From 21 seats in the 2004 elections, the BJP’s tally crashed to four out of the 25 Lok Sabha seats in the state.
According to the legislators loyal to Raje, they first called on Rajnath Singh and then went to the residence of Advani who asked them to fix an appointment in advance for the meeting.
This provoked the legislators to raise slogans in support of their leader.
They are believed to have conveyed to the party leadership that a majority of the 78 BJP legislators in the state assembly support Raje. One of the legislators oputside Advani’s house told reporters there were over 50 legislators present there at that moment.
The former Rajasthan chief minister was asked to step down Wednesday night by the BJP president.
- Raje refuses to quit, BJP summons her to Delhi (Lead) - Aug 14, 2009
- Rajnath confident Raje will toe party line - Aug 16, 2009
- Vasundhara Raje given three days to quit her post - Aug 25, 2009
- Raje may meet Advani and Rajnath Saturday - Aug 22, 2009
- Rajasthan BJP crisis: Raje supporters want her as state chief - May 07, 2012
- BJP summons Vasundhra Raje to Delhi - Aug 28, 2009
- Rajasthan BJP suspends two Raje loyalist MLAs - Aug 18, 2009
- Raje still unwell, BJP hopeful will quit - Sep 30, 2009
- Vasundhara Raje elected Rajasthan BJP head - Feb 26, 2011
- After veterans, regional leaders queering pitch for BJP (Second Lead) - Aug 26, 2009
- Vasundhara Raje arrives in Delhi to discuss BJP crisis - Aug 31, 2009
- Vasundhara unwell, will not quit in a hurry - Aug 31, 2009
- Raje get well soon - and quit, says BJP - Sep 01, 2009
- Raje supporters want her as state chief, BJP says rift over (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Raje confirms that she will meet BJP central leaders soon - Aug 28, 2009
Tags: 2004 elections, assembly support, bjp president, chief minister, debacle, l k advani, leader of opposition, legislators, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, New Delhi, party leader, party leadership, party president, rajnath singh, slogans, solidarity, state assembly, tally, vasundhara raje