Anger against Raj Thackeray rages in BiharOctober 22nd, 2008 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 22 (IANS) Angry students in various parts of Bihar Wednesday damaged railway property and disrupted train traffic, as protests continued against assaults on north Indians by Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) activists in Mumbai.The police said the protesters targeted Patna, Jehanabad, Barh, Khusrupur, Sasaram and Purnia railway stations in the morning.
The protesting students reportedly set afire two AC bogies of an express train at Barh railway station.
They ransacked Jehanabad, Barh, Purnia and Sasaram railway stations.
“The protesters damaged railway properties and totally disrupted train movement,” a senior railway official said here.
The GT road in Sasaram was blocked, disrupting traffic.
According to the railway police, at least 10 students were detained in the morning and extra security was deployed to control the situation.
The students were protesting the attacks by MNS activists on north Indian candidates, particularly from Bihar, who were appearing at a railway recruitment examination Sunday.
Youths who returned to Bihar Tuesday after being assaulted in Mumbai alleged that a candidate was killed by Raj Thackeray-led MNS supporters in Mumbai.
Pawan Kumar, 25, a resident of Bara-Khurd village in Nalanda district, about 100 km from here, was one of the hundreds of students from Bihar appearing for the exam in Maharashtra.
The railway police at the Patna Railway station have filed a First Information Report against Raj Thackeray and his supporters for the assault on the students from Bihar.
“A case was registered on the basis of the statement of the students who returned here Tuesday after being assaulted by MNS activists,” D.N. Gupta, Patna superintendent of Railway police, said.
Gupta said that the case against Thackeray and his supporters were lodged under sections 147, 148, 149, 323, 324 and 307 of the IPC.
- Anti-Thackeray protests in Bihar, trains targeted (Second Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- Back home, Bihar students spew anger against Thackeray (Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- Train bogeys burnt in anti-Thackeray protests in Bihar (Third Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- Bihar students ransack 2 railway stations, torch vehicle - Oct 23, 2008
- 'Hang Raj Thackeray' slogans in Lok Sabha (With Lok Sabha adjourned for the day after four interruptions) - Oct 22, 2008
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar - May 31, 2012
- Thousands stranded at Bihar railway stations as protests continue (Lead) - Oct 23, 2008
- Will attend Bihar Day in Mumbai, stresses Nitish - Apr 13, 2012
- CPI-ML's anti-corruption strike affects passengers - Aug 27, 2011
- Trains torched in Bihar - Jun 01, 2009
- Strike disrupts normal life in Bihar - May 10, 2012
- Maoists blow up railway track in Bihar - Feb 11, 2011