Andhra to provide legal aid to IAS officers in Jagan caseJuly 24th, 2012 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 24 (IANS) The Andhra Pradesh government Tuesday decided to provide legal assistance to seven Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officers under the scanner in YSR Congress Party leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy’s illegal assets.
The government issued an order to pay the legal fee of the bureaucrats who along with five ministers are facing the probe for their alleged role in issuing 26 controversial government orders (GOs), benefiting Jagan, as the jailed MP is popularly known.
In a similar order issued on July 7, the government had decided to bear the legal expenses of five ministers.
A total of six ministers and eight IAS officers were issued notices by the Supreme Court in March this asking them why their role should not be probed in issuing the 26 controversial GOs issued during Jagan’s father, late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy’s tenure.
The GOs allegedly benefited companies and individuals who made investments into the companies of Jagan.
The government’s move to pay the legal fee of the ministers had come under criticism from the opposition. There was also demand from IAS officers that the government also come to their rescue.
One of the ministers Mopidevi Venkatramna was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in May. He resigned from the cabinet the same day.
IAS officer Y. Srilakshmi was also arrested by the investigating agency. Both of them are currently in jail and the government has not decided whether to extend the legal aid to them.
- Congress leader for legal aid to jailed former minister - Jul 08, 2012
- Pressure on Andhra chief minister to 'bail out' colleagues - Aug 21, 2012
- Andhra minister appears before CBI in Jagan case - Mar 20, 2012
- CBI questions Andhra minister in Jagan case - Apr 14, 2012
- CBI questions Andhra minister in Jagan case (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Court allows Jagan to vote in presidential election - Jul 17, 2012
- CBI summons another Andhra minister in Jagan case - Jun 05, 2012
- CBI grills Andhra minister in Jagan case - May 23, 2012
- Andhra seeks legal opinion on court notices to ministers - Mar 13, 2012
- Venkataramana's arrest sends Andhra ministers into tizzy - May 24, 2012
- Supreme Court notices to six Andhra ministers (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- CBI questions Andhra minister in Jagan assets case - May 18, 2012
- CBI again grills BCCI chief in Jagan wealth case - Jun 23, 2012
- Charge sheet is fraudulent, says YSR's party - Mar 31, 2012
- Supreme Court notices to six Andhra ministers (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh government, assets, bureaucrats, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, congress party, government orders, indian administrative service, investigating agency, jagan, legal aid, legal assistance, legal expenses, mp, opposition, party leader, scanner, tenure, ysr