Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalistsMarch 3rd, 2012 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 2 (IANS) Ending the long suspense, the Andhra Pradesh assembly speaker Friday disqualified 16 rebel lawmakers belonging to the ruling Congress party who were loyal to Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy.
The speaker has also accepted the resignation of another Jagan loyalist Shoba Nagi Reddy of Praja Rajyam Party (PRP).
A statement about the disqualification was released from the office of speaker Nandendla Manohar Friday night.
Congress had sought the disqualification of the legislators for violating the party whip and voting in favor of opposition Telugu Desam Party’s no-confidence motion against the government in the assembly last December.
With the speaker’s move, 17 seats in 294-member house have fallen vacant. The election commission will now initiate the process to fill the vacancies by holding by-elections within six months.
- Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Congress to seek disqualification of 17 Andhra rebels - Dec 10, 2011
- PRP rebel legislator appears before Andhra speaker - Dec 19, 2011
- Congress rebels meet Andhra speaker for disqualification - Dec 26, 2011
- Disqualify 16 rebel Andhra legislators: Congress - Dec 12, 2011
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- Congress, TDP, TRS issue whips to legislators - Dec 04, 2011
- Andhra assembly takes up debate on no-confidence motion - Dec 05, 2011
- Rebel Congress members refuse to meet Andhra speaker - Jan 18, 2012
- 21 Jagan loyalists to vote against Congress government - Dec 03, 2011
- Two Congress lawmakers in Andhra quit, side with Jagan - Jun 04, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jagan challenges Congress to go for bypolls to 17 seats - Dec 06, 2011
- Manohar elected new speaker of Andhra assembly - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh assembly, assembly speaker, confidence motion, congress party, desam, election commission, elections, friday night, jagan, lawmakers, legislators, loyalists, manohar, opposition, party whip, resignation, shoba, six months, suspense, vacancies