Andhra protesters attack HSBC Bank in VizagDecember 11th, 2009 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 11 (IANS) Protesters Friday attacked the HSBC Bank in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam during a shutdown called to protest the proposed division of Andhra Pradesh.
Armed with sticks, they entered the bank located at Siripuram junction in the city and damaged the furniture and computers and broke the glass panes. The bank employees ran out for safety, police said.
Angry at finding the bank open, the protesters barged in, ransacking the office and damaging the furniture and computers. Police rushed to the scene and chased away the attackers.
The protesters also attacked the office of the Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation and demanded that the mayor resign to protest the proposed move to carve out a separate Telangana state from Andhra Pradesh.
In Kadapa town of Rayalaseema region, the head post office was set on fire and records destroyed.
The protesters also tried to attack the Kadapa bus depot but police used force to disperse them.
- GlaxoSmithkline shuts down unit over Telangana stir - Dec 11, 2009
- Shutdown cripples Andhra Pradesh - May 31, 2012
- Telangana protests intensify, JAC plans joint agitation (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Telangana students attack minister's house - Sep 07, 2011
- Few state-run buses return on Telangana roads - Oct 11, 2011
- Protests in Telangana mark Andhra Pradesh formation day - Nov 01, 2011
- 'United Andhra' protests, shutdowns continue for eighth day - Dec 18, 2009
- Telangana protestors attack Hyderabad college - Oct 10, 2011
- State buses remain off roads in Telangana - Sep 20, 2011
- Telangana students try to storm assembly, protests rock Hyderabad (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Shutdown in Andhra, Rayalseema to protest Telangana state - Dec 11, 2009
- Hyderabad, other parts of Telangana hit by rail blockade (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Life paralysed as 48-hour Telangana shutdown begins (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Partial shutdown in Andhra after Jagan's arrest - May 28, 2012
- Telangana shutdown paralyses life (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011