Andhra Pradesh Congress chief, speaker defeatedMay 16th, 2009 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 16 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh Congress unit president D. Srinivas, state assembly speaker K.R. Suresh Reddy and five ministers were among the prominent losers in the assembly elections.
Though the ruling Congress party appears on course to retain power, it has lost several sitting legislators, including heavyweights.
Srinivas, who also served as a minister in Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy’s cabinet, was defeated in Nizamabad (Urban) assembly constituency in his native Nizamabad district.
Two senior Congress leaders from the same district also had to bite the dust. Suresh Reddy was defeated in Balkonda constituency, while Energy and Minorities Welfare Minister Mohammed Ali Shabbir lost the elections from Kamareddy.
Ministers Jeevan Reddy, Mohammed Fareeduddin and P. Venkateshwara Rao also lost the polls. Another minister N. Rajyalakshmi, wife of former chief minister N. Janardhan Reddy, also tasted defeat.
Actress and Telugu Desam Party (TDP) candidate Roja was defeated in Chandragiri assembly constituency in Chittoor district by minister G. Aruna Kumari. Actor and TDP leader Babu Mohan too lost the polls.
The prominent winners included TDP chief and former chief minister N. Chandrababu Naidu, who was re-elected from Kuppam constituency in his native Chittoor district.
- Enthusiastic polling in Andhra assembly bypolls (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- TRS leads in four constituencies - Mar 21, 2012
- Jagan party shocks Congress, wrests three council seats - Mar 23, 2011
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- TRS sweeps Telangana by-elections, Congress chief loses (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- TRS wins Banswada by-poll in Andhra - Oct 17, 2011
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Actress-turned-politician Roja quits TDP - Sep 07, 2009
- 71 percent polling in Andhra by-elections (Night Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- TDP MLA resigns, joins TRS - Sep 29, 2011
- Over 65 percent polling in Andhra by-elections (Third Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Peaceful polling for Telangana's Banswada seat (Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- Congress announces eight candidates for Andhra by-polls - Jul 04, 2010
- TDP legislator resigns to fight for Telangana - Mar 25, 2011
- By-poll on in Telangana's Banswada seat - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, aruna, assembly elections, assembly speaker, chandrababu naidu, chief minister, chief speaker, congress chief, congress leaders, congress party, constituency, heavyweights, kumari, minister mohammed, mohammed ali, nizamabad district, shabbir, srinivas, state assembly, venkateshwara