Andhra political chaos: legislators, MPs to quit over TelanganaDecember 10th, 2009 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 10 (IANS) A day after the central government agreed to the formation of a separate Telangana state, Andhra Pradesh plunged into political chaos with at least 73 legislators and several MPs from other regions of the state resigning or threatening to quit to protest the “unilateral” decision to divide the state.
As many as 45 legislators of the ruling Congress, 17 of the main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and 11 of the Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) have reportedly quit or offered to resign.
Two MPs of the Congress party have resigned - L. Rajagopal from Vijayawada Lok Sabha constituency in coastal Andhra was the first to send his resignation to the speaker. Another MP R. Sambasiva Rao has also resigned.
At least two other Congress MPs have also offered to quit. These reports are yet to be confirmed.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi has called an emergency meeting of party MPs from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions in New Delhi Thursday evening, party sources said here.
Many legislators, who either resigned or offered to resign, said they did not want to support the resolution to be tabled in the assembly for formation of Telangana state.
Former minister and senior legislator J.C. Diwakar Reddy of the Congress was the first among legislators to resign.
In his letter to speaker Kiran Kumar Reddy, he said he was resigning to protest the division of the state. Diwakar Reddy hails from Rayalaseema region.
Chief Minister K. Rosaiah, however, said he had no information about the resignations.
TDP president N. Chandrabbau Naidu and PRP chief K. Chiranjeevi have called emergency meetings of their party legislators.
- Andhra political chaos: 92 legislators, many MPs to quit (Lead) - Dec 10, 2009
- Andhra political crisis deepens, 93 legislators quit (Second Lead) - Dec 10, 2009
- Andhra minister quits over Telangana issue - Mar 03, 2011
- Andhra minister quits over Telangana issue (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Andhra Assembly to witness a stormy session - Dec 14, 2009
- Two Telangana ministers head to Delhi for talks - Jul 04, 2011
- Movement for Telangana gathers momentum; cabinet meets (Intro Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Two PRP leaders sworn in as Andhra ministers - Jan 19, 2012
- Crisis in Andhra as Telangana MPs, MLAs quit enmasse (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Congress' Andhra MPs' forum convenor quits over Telangana - Jun 18, 2011
- 29 Andhra legislators loyal to Jagan quit - Aug 22, 2011
- Crisis in Andhra as 73 Telangana legislators quit (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Crisis deepens as more Telangana lawmakers quit amid crippling strike (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Telangana protests intensify, JAC plans joint agitation (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Andhra speaker rejects resignations of 61 lawmakers - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,