Andhra Police officer suspended for absence from dutyJune 19th, 2012 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 19 (IANS) The Andhra Pradesh government Tuesday suspended senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Umesh Kumar, who is allegedly involved in a forgery case, for his unauthorized absence from duty.
Umesh Kumar is currently chairman of the Godavari Valley Development Authority and faces a forgery case in a court.
The government cracked the whip three days after a local court issued non-bailable warrant against the officer in the forgery case and he went into hiding after police reached his house to execute the warrant. The high court, however, Monday kept in abeyance the warrant till June 25.
Umesh Kumar, an IPS officer of 1977 batch, allegedly forged a letter in the name of a member of parliament to complain against another IPS officer, Dinesh Reddy.
The letter sent to the union home ministry contained allegations of land grabbing against Dinesh Reddy and his family members. A former journalist helped Umesh Kumar in forge the letter.
Umesh Kumar sent the letter last year to mar Dinesh Reddy’s chances of being appointed as Director General of Police (DGP).
Interestingly, the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) Tuesday set aside Dinesh Reddy’s appointment as the DGP on a petition filed by another IPS officer, P. Gautam Kumar.
- Telangana Congress MPs to surrender guards - Oct 19, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh IT commissioner faces arrest for forgery - Nov 11, 2010
- 11 Uttarakhand cops surrender, sent to jail - Jun 05, 2012
- CBI seeks fresh warrant to arrest Nupur Talwar - Apr 18, 2012
- Dinesh Reddy Andhra's new police chief - Jun 30, 2011
- Case pending against him, Bihar minister resigns (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Ramdev hits out on government over aide's arrest - Jul 21, 2012
- Bail plea of former Indian cricketer rejected - Apr 08, 2011
- Bihar court seeks arrest of 11 Nepali Maoist leaders - Sep 15, 2011
- CBI charges Kalmadi, eight others in CWG case (Third Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Charge sheet filed in Delhi against four terrorists - Sep 10, 2012
- MP's letter forged to recommend Bappi Lahiri for award - Apr 27, 2012
- Court denies relief against arrest to ex-India cricketer (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Order reserved on ex-cricketer's anticipatory bail plea - Apr 04, 2011
- Bhanwari Devi case: CBI registers third chargesheet - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: abeyance, allegations, andhra pradesh government, central administrative tribunal, dgp, dinesh, family members, forgery case, godavari, indian police service, journalist, local court, member of parliament, parliament, petition, police officer, umesh kumar, unauthorized absence, union home ministry, whip