Andhra orders probe into ‘misuse’ of official chopperMay 13th, 2012 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 13 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy Sunday ordered a probe into the alleged misuse of his official helicopter by a pilot and a technician.
The chief minister directed Chief Secretary Pankaj Dwivedi to submit a detailed report, a statement from the chief minister’s office said.
Captain Barun Gupta and technician Sagar allegedly took their friends on a joy ride on the Agusta AW139 helicopter March 19.
They reportedly flew over Hyderabad for a couple of hours, in a major breach of security norms. The incident took place soon after the Indian Aviation 2012 concluded at Begumpet airport here, but it came to light only Saturday.
The pilot and technician allegedly took clearance from Andhra Pradesh Aviation Corporation and Air Traffic Control (ATC) by saying it would be a “trial run” for the proposed aerial survey of the city by Director General of Police V. Dinesh Reddy.
According to sources in the corporation, which takes care of operation and maintenance of the official chopper, the authorities did not raise any objection as Gupta had been regularly flying the chopper.
It has also come to light that besides Gupta and Sagar, two others persons, including a woman, were on board but their details were not entered in the log book, which is mandatory.
- Expert panel blames bad weather for YSR chopper crash - Feb 11, 2010
- Dhruv choppers grounded after crash - Oct 20, 2011
- Andhra recalls agonising day after YSR helicopter went missing - Sep 01, 2010
- Chhattisgarh chief minister's chopper to have satellite phone - Sep 07, 2009
- Single engine and bad weather, recipe for air disaster: experts - May 26, 2011
- Missing chopper was not airworthy: sources - Sep 02, 2009
- Pilot wisdom saved Munda and others - May 09, 2012
- Aerial crashes: many leaders died, others survived - May 09, 2012
- Not resuming helicopter service in northeast: Minister - Jun 26, 2011
- No foul play, YSR chopper crash blamed on pilots (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Dhumal flies high on Congress MP's chopper - May 05, 2011
- DGCA probe team visits YSR chopper crash site - Sep 09, 2009
- Indian Rotocraft starts building chopper production centre in Hyderabad - Mar 15, 2012
- Indian Army helicopter missing in Sikkim - Apr 21, 2011
- DGCA speaks in twin voices on YSR chopper's airworthiness - Sep 03, 2009
Tags: aerial survey, agusta, air traffic control, atc, aviation corporation, barun, chief minister, chief secretary, chopper, dinesh, director general, gupta, indian aviation, joy ride, kiran kumar, march 19, norms, objection, pankaj, sagar