Andhra mulls tough law to tackle acid attacks on womenJune 19th, 2009 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 19 (IANS) Alarmed over the increasing acid attacks on women, the Andhra Pradesh government is mulling special legislation to deal with such crimes and ensure stringent punishment to the guilty.
A day after two women were injured in acid attacks, Home Minister P.Sabita Indra Reddy told reporters Friday that she would hold talks with the central home minister in this regard.
“A decision will be taken after due consultations with the union home ministry,” she said while underlining the need for special legislation to deal with such crimes.
Reddy, the first woman home minister in the state’s history, was talking to reporters after receiving memorandums from various women’s groups seeking stern action against those responsible for acid attacks.
The home minister directed the Guntur district authorities to take immediate steps to arrest those involved in acid attacks on women.
Two married women were injured when jilted lovers poured acid on them in two different incidents in Guntur district Thursday. In one incident, D. Lakshmi, 28, suffered serious burn injuries when her former lover Venkateshwarlu threw acid on her when she was asleep.
Police said the two were having an extramarital affair but Venkateshwarlu got angry when she stopped seeing him a few months ago.
In the other incident, another jilted lover, N. Kumar, attacked his former lover Sheikh Nabi at a hospital. A 11-year-old girl was also injured in the attack.
In December last year, an engineering student in Warangal was killed and her friend was injured when three youths attacked them with acid. That attack also was carried out by a spurned lover. He and his two friends were later shot dead in an alleged gun battle with the police.
- Prisoner killed in attack in Hyderabad jail - Jul 04, 2012
- Jagan plays Telangana card, one injured in firing (Roundup, superseding earlier story) - May 28, 2010
- Andhra girl dies in acid attack by jilted lover - Apr 11, 2010
- Andhra textiles minister attacked, blames home minister - Dec 20, 2011
- Dalit group seeks action against Andhra home minister - Dec 24, 2011
- Andhra ministers back Rosaiah after Jagan's attack - Jun 01, 2010
- CBI questions Andhra home minister in mining scam - Oct 29, 2011
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Andhra villagers torch youth to death - May 31, 2011
- CBI questions Andhra minister in Jagan assets case - May 18, 2012
- Legislators protest over police firing in Andhra, suspended - Jul 15, 2010
- No police in Osmania varsity: Andhra minister - Jan 09, 2011
- Andhra villagers torch man to death (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Andhra minister complains to President against colleague - Jan 03, 2012
- Jagan held ahead of yatra, one killed (Lead) - May 28, 2010
Tags: acid attacks, andhra pradesh government, district authorities, engineering student, extramarital affair, first woman, former lover, gun battle, guntur district, home minister, indra, lakshmi, married women, memorandums, n kumar, nabi, sabita, stern action, two friends, union home ministry