Andhra minister quits over Telangana issueMarch 3rd, 2011 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 3 (IANS) Unhappy over the delay in the formation of a separate Telangana state, a minister in Andhra Pradesh cabinet Thursday sent his resignation to Congress president Sonia Gandhi. Other ministers and MPs from the region said they would decide on whether to quit after meeting the central leadership.
Minister for endowments J. Krishna Rao resigned a day after party MP Kavuri Sambasiva Rao challenged party leaders from Telangana to quit if they were sincere in their commitment for a separate state.
Krishna Rao urged Congress president to immediately take steps for carving out a Telangana state from Andhra Pradesh, said sources in the party.
Other ministers from Telangana like K. Venkat Reddy and Basvaraj Saraiah said they would take a decision about resignations after meeting the central leadership to demand a bill in parliament for formation of Telangana state.
A meeting of Congress MPs from Telangana was on in Delhi to take a decision on resignations. Immediately after Sambasiva Rao’s challenge Wednesday, MP from Nalgonda G. Sukhender Reddy had said he was ready to quit.
Sambasiva Rao’s remarks triggered war of words between the party leaders from Telangana and Andhra regions. The MP made the remarks after a group of Telangana lawyers staged a sit-in outside his house in Hyderabad, protesting the proposed meeting of leaders from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions to oppose the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
- Andhra minister quits over Telangana issue (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Telangana Congress leaders launch 48-hour fast - Jul 13, 2011
- Telangana leaders rule out withdrawing resignations - Jul 18, 2011
- Congress leaders of Telangana reject second SRC proposal - Jul 12, 2011
- Telangana Congress lawmakers firm on resignations - Jul 02, 2011
- No alternative to Telangana, Andhra leaders tell Azad - Jul 22, 2011
- Congress MPs from Andhra oppose division - Aug 28, 2012
- Telangana activists disrupt government open forum - Jan 24, 2011
- Telangana Congress MPs to boycott parliament session - Aug 14, 2011
- Azad's remark irresponsible, say Telangana Congress leaders - Jul 13, 2011
- Telangana protesters lay siege to ministers, MPs' houses - Jan 08, 2011
- MPs prevented from hoisting flag at Telangana memorial - Aug 15, 2011
- Telangana Congress leaders to chalk out roadmap Tuesday - Jan 10, 2011
- Telangana Congress leaders demand bill for separate state - Jan 12, 2011
- Resentment brewing in Congress over Telangana - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, bifurcation, central leadership, congress mps, congress president sonia gandhi, endowments, krishna rao, lawyers, mp, nalgonda, parliament, party leaders, resignation, resignations, venkat, war of words