Andhra minister booked over temple rowAugust 9th, 2012 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 9 (IANS) The Hyderabad police Thursday booked Andhra Pradesh minister Danam Nagender and his followers after they allegedly prevented police officials from discharging their duty.
A case under four sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) was filed against the labour minister and his supporters after they forcibly locked a temple on Road No.12 in the posh Banjara Hills, police said.
Tension prevailed in the area as the minister reportedly warned police against siding with the Hare Krishna movement, which claimed that the land around Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple was given to them on lease by the government.
Some local people said they had been demanding the government cancel the lease as the land belonged to them. Nagender said locals were only allowing the group to perform some rituals but they were encroaching surrounding land.
Nagender, who represents Khairatabad assembly constituency in the state capital, and his supporters were booked on charges of using criminal force to deter public servants from discharging duty, wrongful confinement, criminal intimidation and unlawful assembly.
The case was registered on a complaint of a police sub-inspector, with whom the minister allegedly misbehaved.
Policemen in large numbers were deployed in the area to prevent any untoward incident.
Hare Krishna movement leader S. Chandradas alleged that the minister and his followers created ruckus and threatened the devotees present in the temple.
The group plans to go ahead with Janmashtami celebrations Friday.
- Andhra minister booked for assaulting Dalit youth - Oct 16, 2011
- Andhra assembly stalled over members' suspension - Feb 21, 2011
- Pressure on Jaipal Reddy, others to quit (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Quit or face action, Telangana activists tell MLAs - Jul 05, 2011
- Janmashtami celebrations: Prayers, fasts, fervour grips Delhi - Aug 10, 2012
- Jagan to appear before CBI today - May 25, 2012
- TRS MP Vijayashanti arrested, released on bail (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- Hyderabad builder arrested for cheating DLF - Jun 23, 2012
- Thousands throng Mathura for Janmashtami - Aug 10, 2012
- MP sent to jail, 3,000 held for rail blockade in Telangana - Oct 16, 2011
- Iskcon factions in court battle over Krishna temple - Jan 22, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on Janmashtami - Aug 09, 2012
- Jagan appears before CBI team amid tight security (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Delhi revels in the spirit of Janmashtami - Aug 22, 2011
- Flooded Yamuna brings on Janmashtami fervour in Braj - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: banjara hills, constituency, criminal intimidation, danam, devotees, hare krishna movement, indian penal code, ipc, labour minister, lakshmi narasimha, large numbers, movement leader, narasimha swamy, police officials, policemen, public servants, ruckus, temple row, unlawful assembly, untoward incident