Andhra governor denied exemption from court appearanceDecember 5th, 2008 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday declined Andhra Pradesh Governor N.D.Tiwari’s plea to exempt him from appearing personally in court in connection with a paternity suit filed by a man claiming to be his natural son. Challenging the high court’s Nov 25 order asking him to appear before it Dec 16, Tiwari through his counsel R.S.Bakshi submitted before a division bench that he was exempted from personal appearance under section 133 of the Civil Procedure Code.
Tiwari’s counsel argued “grave prejudice and inconvenience” shall be caused to his client and the office he held in case the earlier order was not stayed.
However, the bench headed by Justice A K Sikri refused to pass any interim order and put the matter for further hearing Dec 15.
The court earlier refused to exempt Tiwari from personal appearance, saying that it was a family matter but he was not above the law.
The order came on a suit filed April by Rohit Shekhar, grandson of former Union Minister Sher Singh, claiming that he was born out of a relationship between Tiwari and his mother Ujjwala Singh, who is also associated with the Congress party.
The 85-year-old governor has rubbished the claim.
Tiwari also questioned the jurisdiction of the high court in admitting the case as he was at present residing in Hyderabad and Shekhar was born in Lucknow.
- N.D. Tiwari to undergo DNA test (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Paternity suit: Tiwari gets a day to undergo DNA test - Feb 07, 2011
- Court fixes Feb 19 to decide on Tiwari's DNA test - Feb 08, 2011
- I can't be forced to give DNA test sample: N.D. Tiwari (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Verdict on N D Tiwari paternity suit today - Dec 23, 2010
- Court official seeks details ahead of DNA test on Tiwari - Apr 04, 2011
- Tiwari told to begin DNA test process April 4 - Mar 14, 2011
- Date for Tiwari's DNA test to be decided March 8 - Feb 19, 2011
- Tiwari paternity suit: Plea challenging DNA test hearing Feb 7 - Jan 27, 2011
- N.D. Tiwari to undergo DNA test - Feb 10, 2011
- Tiwari challenges court order on DNA test - Jan 24, 2011
- Paternity case: ND Tiwari to provide blood sample for DNA test - May 31, 2011
- 'Son' moves court for early DNA test on N.D. Tiwari - May 10, 2012
- Tiwari must give blood sample for DNA test, rules court (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Court rejects Tiwari's plea on fine - Feb 25, 2011