An ice cream in Kerala that’s frozen in time (Kerala Newsletter)July 7th, 2012 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 7 (IANS) An ice cream does not take more than 15 minutes to melt, but in Kerala a case that began from an ice cream parlour has acquired notoriety and refuses to melt even after 15 years. On Friday, it came up in the Supreme Court and in a lower court in Kozhikode.
One of the main actors in this case, tagged the “Kozhikode ice-cream sex parlour case”, is 88-year-old CPI-M veteran and Leader of Opposition V.S. Achuthanandan, who has been following its ups and downs from the trial court in Kozhikode, through the Kerala High Court and all the way up to the Supreme Court.
Also figuring in the case is powerful Indian Union Muslim League leader and Industries Minister P.K. Kunhalikutty, whose name the Supreme Court cleared in 2006.
On Friday, the case figured in the Supreme Court following Achuthanandan challenging a recent Kerala High Court order disallowed his request for the report on the investigation that he launched in 2011 January when he was the chief minister.
Observing that Achuthanandan was entitled to the report, the apex court asked the state government to submit an affidavit and posted the case for further hearing.
The case came up in the Kozhikode court after Achuthanandan had approached it June 19 stating that the probe he had launched was sabotaged by the present government, which came to power in April 2011 in which Kunhalikutty is a minister.
The court did not accept the petition but asked him to appear in person on Friday, which he did. The case has been posted for July 30.
Over the years has had a tough time in this case in which an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode was being used to lure young women, especially teenaged girls into prostituion for the high and mighty.
Kunhalikutty lost his ministerial berth in 2005 after the media reported fresh revelations in the case by one of the victims, a woman from Kozhikode named Regina. A year later, Kunhalikutty had to bite the dust at the 2006 assembly polls and went into a temporary hiatus.
All was calm till last January, when the issue blew up again following allegations by Kunhalikutty’s co-brother, K.A.Rauf, considered his closest aide, that the truth had been swept under the carpet by influencing even the judiciary.
Not one to loose a golden opportunity, Achuthanandan, who was then the chief minister, immediately launched a fresh probe and made it the biggest issue for the April 2011 assembly poll. His Left Democratic Front, however, narrowly lost power, winning only 68 seats to the 72 of the Congress-led United Democratic Front.
Thereafter, Achuthanandan approached the Kerala High Court for a CBI probe into the case, but was turned down. He then went to the Supreme Court and will now await the verdict of the Kozhokode court.
In all this, Kunhalikutty remains stoic.
“I know this is going to haunt me for ever and I have now come to terms with this,” Kunhalikutty said.
(Sanu George can be contacted at email@example.com)
- SC notice to Kerala on Achuthanandan's plea - Jul 05, 2012
- Sex case probe: Achuthanandan told to appear in court - Jun 19, 2012
- Achuthanandan's fears unfounded in sex case probe: High court - Nov 23, 2011
- Achuthanandan worried due to son's case: Kunhalikutty - Sep 03, 2011
- Court dismisses Achuthanandan plea for sex probe report - May 02, 2012
- SC notice to Kerala on Achuthanandan's plea (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sex scandal: Achuthanandan's plea for CBI probe dismissed - Sep 27, 2011
- Kerala sex scandal case: Police get a month to finish probe - Dec 22, 2011
- Ice cream parlour sex case is Kerala poll issue - Apr 12, 2011
- Achuthanandan seeks CBI probe in sex scandal case - Sep 02, 2011
- Kerala ice cream parlour sex scandal case makes news - Jan 29, 2011
- Scandals from past jolt Kerala opposition (Letter from Kerala) - Feb 14, 2011
- Court views Achuthananandan's petition on sex scandal seriously - Sep 23, 2011
- Two girls' death linked to Kerala sex scandal - Mar 17, 2011
- Sex scandal case review plan a conspiracy: E. Ahamed - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: affidavit, apex court, berth, chief minister, CPI, cream sex, industries minister, kerala high court, kozhikode, kunhalikutty, leader of opposition, league leader, muslim league, notoriety, present government, prostituion, trial court, ups, ups and downs, v s achuthanandan