Amitabh pleads innocence in 1984 anti-Sikh riotsDecember 1st, 2011 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Dec 1 (IANS) Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan has pleaded his innocence in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in various parts of the country in which thousands of Sikhs were massacred, a top Sikh religious leader said.
In a letter to jathedar (chief) Gurcharan Singh of the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikh religion, Amitabh stated that he had no role in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
The letter was delivered to the Akal Takht head by Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) member from Mumbai, Gurinder Singh Bawa.
Talking to reporters here Thursday, the Akal Takht jathedar said that he had received the letter from Amitabh, who said that he had not instigated anyone to indulge in riots against Sikhs.
Nearly 7,000 Sikhs were killed in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in various parts of the country following the assassination of the then prime minister India Gandhi by her two Sikh bodyguards in New Delhi Oct 31, 1984.
Amitabh was considered very close to the Gandhi family and particularly to Indira Gandhi’s son, Rajiv Gandhi.
- Opposition mounts to Amitabh's plea on anti-Sikh riots - Dec 16, 2011
- Ardass Divas held at Akal Takht in Amritsar - Nov 04, 2010
- Ardass Diwas held at Akal Takht for the first time in 26 years - Mar 04, 2011
- Akal Takht summons Sarna over his remarks against Phoolka - Jul 21, 2010
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
- Ajay Devgn agrees to cut objectionable dialogue from 'Son of Sardar' - Sep 04, 2012
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- International support to declare 1984 riots a genocide - Jul 15, 2010
- Akalis, SGPC offer prayers, seek justice for riot victims - Nov 08, 2009
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- Haryana to probe Sikh massacre in village 26 years ago - Feb 21, 2011
- Congress opposes move to summon PM to Akal Takht - Sep 05, 2011
- Sikh massacre: SGPC rejects Haryana government's probe - Feb 23, 2011
- Akali Dal releases agenda for gurdwara panel poll - Aug 20, 2011
- Sikh massacre: SGPC asks PM for probe - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: akal takht jathedar, amitabh bachchan, anti sikh riots, bodyguards, gurdwara, gurinder singh, india gandhi, indira gandhi, innocence, mumbai, New Delhi, oct 31, prime minister, rajiv gandhi, religion, religious leader, sgpc, sikhs