Ambedkar memorial: Dalit activists attempt to storm legislatureMarch 15th, 2012 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 15 (IANS) Protesting the delay by the centre in handing over land for constructing a memorial to B.R. Ambedkar, the Republican Party of India Thursday staged a noisy demonstration outside the Maharashtra legislature.
Entering the high-security zone and taking the security by surprise, around 60 RPI supporters shouted slogans and attempted to barge into the legislature building at Nariman Point.
However, the police managed to stop them and the protestors were whisked away from the venue, while around a dozen were detained.
Earlier this week, RPI chief Ramdas Athawale, an ally of the opposition Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party, had warned that unless the centre immediately cleared the proposal, his party would take a protest march to Mantralaya.
The centre has given an in principle approval to a proposal for handing over 12.5 acres of the Indu Mills at Shivaji Park in Dadar to construct an ultra-modern memorial for Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian Constitution.
The mill land belongs to the National Textile Corporation Ltd and it must first be transferred to the state government.
- Dalit party threat to recapture Indu Mills land - Mar 06, 2012
- RPI demands land for Ambedkar memorial, blocks highway - Dec 15, 2011
- RPI ransack mill, demand land for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 15, 2011
- RPI's rail blockade Monday for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 18, 2011
- NCP wants Mumbai station named after Ambedkar - May 30, 2011
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Chavan to meet PM on Ambedkar memorial, boundary row - Dec 29, 2011
- RPI workers demand Mumbai mill land for Ambedkar memorial - Jun 12, 2012
- Raj speaks up for estranged uncle Bal Thackeray - Jun 01, 2011
- NCP wants Dadar station renamed Chaityabhoomi - Jun 10, 2011
- Chavan demands land for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 20, 2011
- Dalits angry with derogatory Ambedkar cartoon: Athawale (With Image) - Apr 03, 2012
- Chavan meets PM on Ambedkar memorial, farmers - Dec 09, 2011
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Farmers suicides, Ambedkar memorial set to rock Maharashtra house - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: ally, ambedkar, bharatiya janata party, corporation ltd, dadar, dalit, high security, indian constitution, maharashtra legislature, mumbai, national textile corporation, noisy demonstration, protest march, protestors, ramdas, republican party, rpi, security zone, slogans, state government