Amar Singh meets MukherjeeJuly 1st, 2008 - 1:46 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 30 (IANS) Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh held a meeting with External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee late Monday night amid the stand-off between the Congress and the Left parties over the India-US nuclear deal. The meeting is seen as an attempt to reach an understanding over the Samajwadi Party’s possible support to the Congress-led government.
“We will have to see how best to avert a crisis. No party is untouchable,” Singh told the NDTV news channel.
Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh returned from the US earlier in the day.
There were clear indications that the Samajwadi Party headed by Mulayam Singh Yadav was softening towards the Congress which is desperate for its support to save the deal and to continue in power for the remaining months of its five-year tenure.
Left sources said the communists were trying to convince Samajwadi Party not to support the deal even if it extended parliamentary support to the government till elections.
Meanwhile, a section of Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leaders wanted the party to pull down the government if Manmohan Singh leaves for G-8 summit, to be held July 7-9 in Japan.
They argue that prime minister’s visit, during which he will meet US President George W. Bush on the sidelines of the summit, would be a clear indication that the government had taken a final call to go ahead with the nuclear deal.
- Amar Singh to be questioned Friday over 2008 'horse trading' - Jul 21, 2011
- From stars to Tihar, Amar Singh's fall from grace - Sep 06, 2011
- Samajwadi Party to hold rally to protest price rise - Dec 03, 2009
- Amar Singh being framed: Mulayam - Jul 24, 2011
- Presidential polls dead issue, Mamata my younger sister: Mulayam - Sep 13, 2012
- Leaders, aides deny WikiLeaks claims - Mar 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes middleman names Amar, Patel - Jul 20, 2011
- Alliance with Congress not possible, says Akhilesh - Feb 29, 2012
- Cash-for-votes scam: Saxena sent to police custody - Jul 18, 2011
- No prima facie evidence against Amar Singh: K.C. Deo - Jul 19, 2011
- Cash-for-vote scam: Congress declines comment on allegations - Jul 20, 2011
- Mamata plays pivotal role in presidential talk (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Amar Singh to be questioned on cash-for-votes - Jul 20, 2011
- Buddhadeb skips CPI-M meet - Apr 03, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: Police file supplementary chargesheet - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: amar singh, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, external affairs minister, final call, g 8 summit, general secretary, george w bush, left parties, manmohan, manmohan singh, mulayam singh yadav, ndtv, ndtv news channel, nuclear deal, parliamentary support, party leader, pranab mukherjee, president george w bush, Samajwadi Party