Amar Singh, Ahmad Patel exonerated in cash-for-trust vote scamDecember 15th, 2008 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) Congress leader Ahmed Patel and Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh Monday got a clean chit from a parliamentary panel that probed allegations that they had bought votes ahead of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government’s trust vote on July 22. A seven-member panel under the chairmanship of Congress’ V. Kishore Chandra S. Deo was formed after three Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs - Ashok Argal, Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora - stunned the nation by brandishing wads of cash in the Lok Sabha shortly before the Manmohan Singh government was to face the trust vote July 22 evening.
The BJP MPs had alleged that they were bribed to abstain during the July 22 trust vote.
“Not an iota of evidence either in the page or in any of the depositions made by the witnesses who appeared before the committee which may prove Ahmed Patel’s involvement in the alleged offer of money to the complainant,” the panel said in its report.
The panel found no evidence to back the charge of the three MPs even in the case of the Amar Singh.
“For want of any such recording of impugned conversation or any other proof with regard to offer of money, it is not possible to come to any conclusion on the veracity of the allegations or otherwise.”
The panel has demanded that the case be probed by an appropriate agency.
- Working on cash-for-votes money trail, cops tell court - May 10, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Order on Amar Singh's bail Wednesday - Sep 27, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Gadkari meets jailed party colleagues in Tihar - Oct 31, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: BJP feliciates Kulkarni, other accused - Nov 19, 2011
- Cash-for-vote scam: Congress declines comment on allegations - Jul 20, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, two BJP former MPs walk out of Tihar - Nov 17, 2011
- Cash-for-vote case: Police file another charge sheet - Apr 30, 2012
- Ahmed Patel was mastermind behind cash-for-vote scam: Gadkari - Nov 18, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Bail pleas of Kulkarni, two others, to be heard Oct 13 - Oct 07, 2011
- Meira Kumar sanctions prosecution of BJP MP Ashok Argal (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Police likely to file another charge sheet - Feb 10, 2012