Am grateful for mistakes pointed out: ModiSeptember 17th, 2011 - 1:48 am ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Sep 17 (IANS) Ahead of his three-day sadbhavna fast, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said Friday he was “grateful” to those who had pointed out his “genuine mistakes” in the last 10 years and that no one can claim to be perfect.
He also said that casteism and communalism “have never done any good to society. This is also my own firm conviction. Gujarat has understood this and having overcome these evils, it has adopted the path of Inclusive Development. We are committed to work for a developed Gujarat for a developed India.
Modi said that as chief minister, “the pain of each and every citizen is my own pain. Ensuring Justice to all is the duty of the State”.
The text of his letter:
“My dear Brothers and Sisters!
Today, I begin my three-day fast of Sadbhavna Mission with your blessings and good wishes. This Mission is totally dedicated to the society and the Nation. It aims at Unity, Harmony and Brotherhood among all.
Twenty first century did not begin well for Gujarat. In 2001, the devastating earthquake on our Republic day, took a very heavy toll. In the subsequent year, Gujarat became the victim of communal violence. We lost innocent lives, suffered devastation of property and endured lot of pain. One can visualise what all we have gone through.
Those were very difficult and trying days. However, Gujarat has come out of these difficulties and leapfrogged on the path of development. Today, Gujarat is progressing fast. The atmosphere of peace, unity, social harmony and brotherhood has given further impetus to the process of development.
The Indian history is a witness that casteism and communalism have never done any good to society. This is also my own firm conviction. Gujarat has understood this and having overcome these evils, it has adopted the path of Inclusive Development. We are committed to work for a developed Gujarat for a developed India.
My dear Brothers and Sisters, no State, society or individual can claim to be perfect. I am grateful to all those who pointed out my genuine mistakes during last 10 years. I seek your blessings to serve the people with devotion free from all human shortcomings. As Chief Minister of the State, the pain of each and every citizen is my own pain. Ensuring Justice to all is the duty of the State.
The six crore people of Gujarat are working together for their own development and that of the State. The poorest of the poor is a partner in this process and is confident that he will get the fruits of development. Everyone has inculcated the State’s ethos of ‘Development of all with Cooperation of all’ (Sabka Saath - Sabka Vikaas).
During my fast, I will continue to pray to the Almighty to give me strength so that I do not develop or retain any ill-feeling or bitterness towards those who defamed Gujarat or me by making false allegations.
Our country is a shining example of Unity in Diversity. I am confident that with your blessings, this Sadbhavna Mission will further strengthen our social fabric.
I will also pray to God to give the requisite strength to all of us to take this Sadbhavna Mission forward.”
- Modi's fast: BJP top brass to attend; Modi condemns communalism - Sep 17, 2011
- Violence as instrument of protest poses a big challenge: Chidambaram - Sep 10, 2011
- Discord on Day 2: Protesters detained as Modi fasts - Sep 18, 2011
- Fast to disagree! Modi, Congress begin parallel fasts - Sep 17, 2011
- Modi begins fast by reciting Gujarat's success story - Sep 17, 2011
- Is Modi expiating for 2002 riots with his fast: Congress - Jan 21, 2012
- Modi plays development card on Godhra stage - Jan 20, 2012
- Sonia seeks action in Assam violence, northeastern people's mistreatment (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Narendra Modi to sit on fast - Sep 13, 2011
- Modi's fast irks celebrities - Sep 17, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Modi ends fast on upbeat note, but divisions remain (Roundup) - Sep 19, 2011
- Modi fasts again, Congress dismissive - Oct 16, 2011
- Despite exoneration, Narendra Modi cannot play national role (Comment) - Apr 14, 2012
- Get rid of social evils for independent India: TV stars - Aug 14, 2010
Tags: blessings, brotherhood, brothers and sisters, casteism, chief minister, communal violence, conviction, dear brothers, devastating earthquake, devastation, evils, genuine mistakes, gujarat, impetus, indian history, innocent lives, narendra modi, republic day, social harmony, twenty first century