Allahabad High Court to decide NSA charge on Varun GandhiApril 28th, 2009 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 28 (IANS) The judicial fate of Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Varun Gandhi will be determined by the Allahabad High Court Tuesday afternoon when the state advisory board takes a final call on the National Security Act (NSA) that was slapped on him by the Uttar Pradesh government earlier this month.
The meeting of the board is slated to be absolutely confidential. Sources, however, confirmed that Gandhi would appear before the board at 3.30 p.m.
The three-member board is headed by Justice Pradeep Kant, senior judge of the Lucknow bench of the high court, and includes two retired high court judges.
As the ultimate statutory authority on the NSA, the advisory board has the right to approve or revoke the government order invoking the act against Gandhi, the BJP candidate from the Pilibhit Lok Sabha constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
The verdict of the advisory board is final and if it chooses to revoke the NSA, Gandhi would be set free with immediate effect.
The law does not permit any NSA detenu to be accompanied by a lawyer before the advisory board. However, one person is free to join him.
Gandhi was charged for making highly inflammatory anti-Muslim utterances during his poll campaign in Pilibhit.
- Varun Gandhi appears before NSA board (Lead) - Apr 28, 2009
- Advisory board terms NSA against Varun Gandhi invalid - May 08, 2009
- Supreme Court revokes NSA against Varun Gandhi - May 14, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh Government withdraws NSA against Varun - May 14, 2009
- UP govt. files petition challenging revocation of NSA on Varun Gandhi - May 12, 2009
- Varun Gandhi moves Supreme Court on National Security Act - May 13, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Varun Gandhi's plea on National Security Act - May 14, 2009
- Varun's NSA reprieve due to flawed investigation: judicial panel - May 12, 2009
- Court panel calls for revocation of NSA against Varun Gandhi (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Court panel recommends revocation of NSA against Varun (Roundup) - May 08, 2009
- Notice to Varun on petition challenging his election - Jul 20, 2009
- Varun Gandhi deposes before NSA board in Lucknow - Apr 28, 2009
- UP challenges Advisory Board decision on Varun in SC - May 12, 2009
- NSA lifted on Varun Gandhi on apex court orders (Fourth Lead) - May 15, 2009
- 'NSA revocation is a slap on Mayawati's government' - May 10, 2009
Tags: allahabad high court, bharatiya janata party, bjp candidate, confidential sources, final call, high court judges, Lok Sabha, lucknow, member board, national security act, nsa, poll campaign, pradeep, sabha constituency, state advisory board, statutory authority, tuesday afternoon, uttar pradesh government, utterances, varun gandhi