All-party meet mere drama, say Jammu agitatorsAugust 7th, 2008 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 6 (IANS) The Amarnath Yatra Sangharsh Samiti, leading an agitation in Jammu for land to the Amarnath shrine management, described as “drama” the all-party meet called by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday. “It was a theatre of absurd,” Samiti convenor Leela Karan Sharma told reporters.
He said that though he was not aware of the exact contents of the joint statement issued after the meet - to which his conglomerate was not invited - yet it appeared that “the government has shown its extreme indifference to the people of Jammu and their demand for the return of the land to the shrine board”.
Regarding a proposal that an all-party delegation may visit Jammu, he said: “Let there be several delegations or all-party meetings, the basic issue of land return needs to be settled before any follow-up action.”
Meanwhile, violence in Jammu region escalated following the killing of a youth in firing in Palli Morh in Kathua and frequent clashes between protesters and police in Nagrota, Akhnoor and some parts of this winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir.
The police also fired in air in Vijaypur where people laid a siege around the house of former minister Manjit Singh of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) to disperse the mob. But the protesters stoned the house before fleeing.
The samiti and protesters have been demanding withdrawal of the state government order revoking allotment of land to the shrine board for pilgrim facilities.
- Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti to boycott talks with all-party delegation - Aug 09, 2008
- Land row: Jammu remains calms, curfew relaxed - Aug 10, 2008
- All-party meet assesses situation over Amarnath land row - Aug 10, 2008
- Jammu talks end in stalemate (Lead) - Aug 09, 2008
- One killed in police firing in Jammu region - Aug 06, 2008
- Two Jammu agitation leaders likely to contest polls - Mar 13, 2009
- Life returns to normalcy as curfew relaxed in Jammu - Aug 11, 2008
- Amarnath Samiti leader to contest polls - Mar 14, 2009
- Mukherjee, Patil with all-party delegation to visit Jammu - Aug 07, 2008
- PDP to hold first major public meet in Jammu - Mar 11, 2011
- SASS defers protest plan after meeting with government - Feb 12, 2009
- Jammu shutdown extended till Aug 20 - Aug 13, 2008
- Patil meets SASS, various party leaders in Jammu - Aug 09, 2008
- Talks fail, Jammu agitation to continue (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2008
- Violence in Jammu region, curfew in Kathua (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
Tags: agitation, agitators, allotment, amarnath shrine, amarnath yatra, conglomerate, convenor, delegations, exact contents, frequent clashes, jammu and kashmir, kathua, manmohan, manmohan singh, morh, party meetings, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, shrine board, winter capital