All parties will ensure safety of northeast citizens: PM (Lead)August 17th, 2012 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) All parties would together ensure that citizens from the northeast are safe in all parts of the country, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Friday.
“I assure we will do our utmost to ensure our friends and citizens and children from northeast feel secure in any part of the country,” the prime minister said in the Rajya Sabha.
“The northeastern region of our country is a very sensitive region, but one thing that I would like to say that whatever may have happened in Kokrajhar and other areas should not be used as an occasion to fan rumours to create an environment in other parts of our country (so) that people from northeast feel unsafe,” the prime minister said.
Stating that the unity, integrity and communal harmony of the country was at stake, he urged all political parties to work together to make people from the northeast feel secure.
“What is at stake is the unity and integrity of our country, what is at stake is communal harmony, and it is the solemn obligation of all of us, regardless of the party, that we may work together to create an atmosphere where this rumour mongering will come to an end,” he said.
The prime minister, who is also the Leader of House in Rajya Sabha, was participating in a discussion on the exodus of people from the northeast from various parts of country following a threat perception. The discussion was taken up after adjourning question hour.
He said everyone must work together to “create an atmosphere” to end the rumour mongering and ensure that “people of northeast feel at home in all parts of the country”.
Stating that the country belongs to them as much as to anybody else, he said: “As patriots we must send out the message to all those who want to disturb peace between any regions or communities, that this house stands united that we will work together to give them security to curb and effectively control all elements who are out to create trouble”.
The prime minister also said that “rumour mongers” and “miscreants” will be brought to book.
Manmohan Singh has been elected to the Rajya Sabha from Assam.
- Parties unite for northeast, PM assures safety (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Will ensure safety of northeast citizens: PM - Aug 17, 2012
- PM assures protection to northeast people, MPs demand resolution - Aug 17, 2012
- Northeast exodus unites parties, PM assures safety (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Rajya Sabha appeals to northeast people to come back - Aug 17, 2012
- Ensure return of northeast people: Arun Jaitley - Aug 17, 2012
- As exodus continues, bulk SMSes banned; parliament unites in support (Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- PM asks states to maintain peace (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Communalism, terrorism big challenges to nation: PM - Jul 29, 2011
- Assam violence: Sonia warns against partisan finger-pointing - Aug 28, 2012
- Am grateful for mistakes pointed out: Modi - Sep 17, 2011
- Bangalore cops scotch rumours as northeast students flee - Aug 16, 2012
- Lack of political consensus hurting economy, says PM (Intro Roundup) - Aug 15, 2012
- NIC meeting to discuss ways to curb radicalisation of youth - Sep 10, 2011
- Images causing panic from Pakistan: Home secretary - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: adjourning, atmosphere, communal harmony, exodus, friends and citizens, integrity, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, northeastern region, patriots, political parties, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, rumour mongering, sensitive region, stake, threat perception, unity